View Single Post
      12-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
Good 4 2 reasons
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G42 m240ix, '18 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
You got anything to back this up? ie anything other than the typical internet unfounded "factoids". Any studies you can reference? Not saying the oil is or is not a "plague" on durability but i get really tired of unsupported claims. If you can point to specific durability studies and comparisons with this oil, fine, please post that data. If its a plague it would have to be widespread.
You're right that the new LL17FE+ oil standards haven't really been around long enough for there to be widespread evidence of issues. Also the different driving styles of BMW drivers necessitates different needs in people for their engine oil.

I may have said it poorly, but for those of us who will be partaking in more spirited driving, are the lower HTHS values in LL17 oils something to be concerned about, re: engine wear? Lower HTHS values are a feature with these newer oils and the modifiers that are added to the oil to maintain the desired characteristics break down over time.

If LL17FE+ oil standard was created to increase fuel economy and lower emissions, I would rather sacrifice those for a different oil that decreases wear on my engine components.

As far as voiding my warranty, even if I perform my own oil changes, I can still show up to BMW and get my free oil changes, and just swap out the fluid after the oil service.

I am definitely not looking to fight anyone over oil.

I will retract my claim that BMW LL17FE+ oil is anything other A+++ best oil you've ever used in your life.

I was just wondering for those of you who do something other than BMW calls for, what are you doing?

Thanks!
2015 VW Golf 1.8t 5-speed (sold)
2004 Chevy Cavalier (hopefully crushed by now)
Appreciate 1
danallxt739.50