View Single Post
      12-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #15
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

reply to Lightngsvt:
I was perhaps a bit harsh in my initial response, actually agree most with all that the original poster has posted.
I was reacting to the fact that i have seen no evidence that the 0-20 oils are damaging to these engines and was reacting to the blanket "plague" statement.

But....having said that, i am not totally comfy with using the 0-20 oil for very sustained spirited driving.

So, if you are confused, so am i a bit, some 0-20 oils have tested quite well for thermal breakdown...but i'm not sure how much has been sacrificed for fuel economy. My quandary is that I'd like to take advantage of the "free" oil changes. Since i only average 5,000 mi a year, that means likely 5,000 mile changes. That is the most mileage i will put on any oil regardless of manufacture's recommendation.

I also usually change oil very quickly on a new engine...500 miles or so. I don't want any stray metal scarfs moving around for 1200 or even 5000 miles so i will likely personnally make an initial very early oil change to 5-30.
Then see if i can get the dealer to do the scheduled changes using 5-30 or 0-30.
Appreciate 1