View Single Post
      04-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'll be 49 in May. I'm a crack over 6' 1" and weigh around 175lbs. I play competitive volleyball about 6-7 hours a week with a number of 20 and 30 somethings who the majority are either are currently playing college VB or were former college players. It's very high level and the expectations are high and if you can't perform, you aren't invited to play. I didn't take this sport seriously until my early 30s and I had to work really hard on strength and mechanics in order to work my way into the group which took 5 years. I'm by far the oldest player in the group by about 10 years and have no club or college VB experience.

I've learned that as you age, you need train for the sport you're playing and that diet becomes very critical. I've found that the stretching and "Knees over toes" workouts have helped me immensely. I do very light lifting and most of time I'm just doing body weight exercises without any weights along with some pull-ups and bar hanging. I can't stand lifting weights and my goal isn't mass and all the calories that has to go with that. I mostly stick to eating within a 6 hour window, but I'm not militant about it. I got up to 185lb 3 years ago and started feeling pudgy and slow. I started eating within a 6 hour window and stopped eating big lunches. I've been 170-175lbs feel much better.

I'd like to work out more as I feel my age starting to catch up with me, but there's only so much time in a day, especially when you have kids, full time job, kid sports, etc.