08-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #128
BobHen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
I just don’t get this, at all.

ID 7 = two screens separated by some plastic bits.

ID8 = 1 big screen with no plastic bits dividing it in half.

How does that alter the sports car feel? Or “the emotional experience” lol

I totally understand the criticism of how they implemented it, and I agree. But all this other stuff is kind of laughable at this point.
Here is just one example of “many” from other brands of sports cars. The image is of a 2022 Porsche 911 GT3

What do you see? 2 screens separated by plastic bits. However, Porsche has retained the dials. And in true form, Porsche has shown the tachometer large and in the center. They haven’t gone to one large screen with a video game-like display that is bolted onto the dashboard like an “afterthought”. It would no doubt be “cheaper” to do that “across all” Porsche models. If the Porsche 911 buyer doesn’t care, why has Porsche retained the current look? If actual performance is all that matters, why has Porsche retained the current look?

If performance is all that matters, why does the Ferrari SF90 and many other sports/performance cars have a similar Porsche-like layout?

I don’t know if people want to define the BMW M240i as a sports or performance car. But BMW has made the M240i faster than a Porsche Cayman GT3 manual and faster than BMW’s M2 from just a few years ago. So that screams performance car to me, “and not SUV”.

[B]HERE is a link to Motormouth Canada and a video titled: the 5 worst trends in the automotive industry. Start a the 6-minute mark and see how they feel about eliminating shifters and buttons and moving to more screen functionality. BMW is specifically called out in the video.

These same discussions and points are going on in other sporty BMW model forums as well. Some seem okay. Some are holding their nose and buying because of other BMW attributes, like performance. And some are shopping elsewhere. It’s the last group that should be a concern to BMW, if it’s actually a third, well, that’s a lot.

Bob
Attached Images

Appreciate 0