Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
As inefficient as they are I really don’t see the EV vehicles being the issue. The manufacturers will nail them in time.
The issue is the infrastructure or complete lack there of.
The governments are pushing this agenda & yet not investing in a support infrastructure. We can’t all move over to EV’s & then obtain the electricity to charge them from oil/coal powered power stations as that’s not solving anything. Wind power is next to useless as far as productivity goes & while some countries are relying on gas it obviously has environmental drawbacks also.
What about synthetic fuels & Hydrogen, surely these should be researched further or are these solutions being killed off by those with an EV agenda ?.
It seems we have been pushed into this without any consideration to what we are actually creating here & the impending drawbacks.
I have several concerns that I’ve not seen addressed & would genuinely like to know what others think & be better informed :-

Why aren’t we getting rid of or electrifying the big polluters such as airplanes, ships, etc. The impact from these heavy polluters is massively more than passenger vehicles yet there seems to be no concern with ‘fixing’ these ?.
Why is there not a consistent target for each country/region, there is no point in one country pushing for 90% EV usage when the country next door is pushing for 5%. We are all on the same earth & all breathe the same air thus if this is to work surely it needs to be a global plan. For example if countries such as China & India are not onboard this will pretty much negate what benefit the rest of us manage.

On a personal level, what happens when we all plug in & charge at home…the power networks are already stretched - blackouts ?.
What about when batteries die in your car in 10 or so years time, the tech is moving on so fast that everything is becoming obsolete almost overnight so will you even be able to replace them ? Or do you just junk the whole car ?. Surely that can’t be a sensible option given what it costs the environment to produce & dispose of a whole car, not to mention the nasty battery itself.
What about resale value ? Is this based on what life is left in a battery as I doubt replacing them will be a viable option, thus who’s going to buy a well used EV ?. It seems to me you will buy a new EV car, keep it till it dies & throw it away then buy another etc. etc. etc.
I’m sure the manufacturers have answers to many of their problems but there concern is solely profit, they are not responsible for the support networks & my concern is the political involvement required as governments by nature are purely self serving & only concerned with things for the brief few years they are in power, which will result in the goalposts being moved every 4 years (or whatever political term your country has) which can’t be good for progress.
I hope the transition to EV is as simple as those with an agenda to push like to claim but I fear it will be far from that.