12-16-2021, 07:34 AM   #29
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Crew View Post
Invalid review. They tested the car on winter tires. These guys fell off hard in the last 12-18 months.
Depending on the temperatures when they tested the car running summer tires would've been invalid also. Summer tires would not perform properly in cold temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm sure some of their steering comments can be attributed to winter tires. AWD doesn't help either. But as others have commented, BMW's EPS has been well-documented to be lacking for over a decade now. I did find the steering of the M2 to be good enough for my tastes as the car overall was so fun and alive. I hope the G87 M2 is similar.

Porsche somehow managed to make their EPS feel super close to hydraulic steering. There is road information coming through and the steering is tight without feeling artificially programmed like BMW's does.
I agree with your comments, however, I just rewatched their review of the 2018 M240i and they had very similar complaints about the steering and that was an RWD car on summer tires. But they didn't specifically say it was a deal-breaker on the last generation like they did on the new car.

Porsche steering is excellent. Porsche shifters are excellent. Even though my Boxster has less power, but similar width tires, than my 340i ZHP it is still always an occasion to drive the Porsche. I'm sure BMW could reverse engineer a similar steering feel, but they are more concerned about sales volume than producing the Ultimate Driving Machne. Sadly profits rule, and BMW wouldn't exist by only serving the enthusiast portion of their market share.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9731.00