02-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #947
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
But for sure some people like BMWs new designs. Just the lowly enthusiast that are getting the shaft. But it’s the same with every car company (no more manuals, huge, heavy AWD cars)
Lots of truth here.

Teutonic's post wasn't as dumb as folks want to imply. He said flat out it was among his friends and acknowledged that. I think it's an interesting point, or a theory at least I have, that - people can be leaving BMW over their car designs, and things like the above about the feel, weight, and so on. And yet BMW can still sell more cars as those customers are replaced with people who want those things. It's not mutually exclusive to lose customers and gain them both.

Some of us want light, fun, driver's cars without the "me too" styling. Others love feeling like they are driving a big cruiser with "modern" styling and guess what, that's fine too. Even when the M3 / M4 put up awesome numbers, it doesn't make them better. It just depends on what people are looking for, and not all are looking for what they've become vs. what they used to be. Some will leave, some will join.

As an example, I won't say that the BRZ / 86 is a better car than a 240i, but it's what like 1,000 lbs lighter? Come on BMW, let's at least have one car in the lineup that isn't built like a tank? If it's not economically viable, OK, I get it. But it'll be sad, and the people that don't care might consider acknowledging that there are some who do.
Appreciate 5