05-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #1
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

2022 M240x track day

2022 M240x track day
I just completed a 1 day track school hosted by HOD (Hooked on Driving) at “the Ridge” located outside of Shelton, Wa. First let me just give some thumbs up to that organization and how the they manage the track school/track day. Very well controlled and managed. The session was well attended and yet on track traffic was never a problem. HOD does track/school events all around the county at numerous locations, I would highly recommend for anyone considering it.

Me I've never been on a track or have had any performance type driving instruction. Because it was a new track to me and totally new experience I was placed in the A novice category which (thankfully) resulted in having a driving coach in car for every session. Outstanding coach.
The track: its a lovely track with numerous elevation and grade changes that makes it interesting and with an added chicane in the straight there was 19 corners, not a simple track.

The first on track session my coach drove my car to show me the lines, the first lap he mentioned he would take take it easy at 50 percent to carefully show me the proper vehicle positioning and lines...my reaction...ooh that's fast. Then he does a couple of hot laps...I frankly was gobsmacked at the aggressiveness. What impressed me was not the speed/or cornering forces/speed, rather it was the maximum braking at last second prior to turn in. Midway thru the first hot lap the pungent aroma of hot brakes filled the car. By nature I am not a heavy braker even when driving/or bike riding aggressively....being exposed to maximum braking by an experienced racer on a track was truly eyeopening and a new experience for me.

Myself I really struggled with learning/memorizing the track/the proper lines and vehicle placement. There is just so much information that there is a bit of info overload for a newbe. A couple of places on the track I struggled with getting it right. Only at my second to last segment did I get a decent lap and felt I had it put together pretty well. Parking the car after that session and exiting revealed a car stinking of hot brakes all around, my instructor commented “that's what I want to see, shows you've been working those brakes. One instructor mentioned that track braking is the opposite of how we all are used to street driving, thus one has to unlearn years (in my case over 56 years) of street driving.

Ideally a newbe needs two days, one to get familiar with the track and track driving techniques and then putting it all together the second day (or perhaps I'm just a slow learner). I can't say that I really pushed the car close to its limits as I was focused mostly on learning the track and executing proper lines.

All in all it was a very fun and instructive day, I ended up with newfound respect for anyone that competitively races any car in any type of competition. The M240x ran fine, sure was fun letting it bang tru the gears wide open down the straight listening to the engine peak out, then haul on the binders for the chicane.
Appreciate 12