10-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #26
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
Was wondering what oil the dealers are required to use on oil changes? Full synth or blend?

I have done all my oil changes on all my vehicles from Mustangs and Z06 and Kawasaki ZX-7 to Honda Odyssey and always user Mobil1 Full synthetic.

I would use the factory oil until at least the recommended first change interval because it's usually not full synthetic cause in past you don't want to break in a new engine with full synthetic. But if they regularly use a blend then I definitely won't be taking in my car for oil changes. Over 30 years of using Mobil1 and my current daily with over 320k in 11 years.

When I was into bikes, they would say drain and change at 500 and/or 1k because that's when you have the most metal in the oil because parts are mating. Maybe overkill but I love working under the hood anyways and 5 qt jugs of Walmart and filter is cheap insurance.

Do manufacturers even use "break-in oil" in their engine oil?
My experience with various brands of cars is the dealers use whatever oil is factory fill.

Believe for my 1996 Mustang GT Ford still used a mineral based oil, in a Motorcraft labeled bottle. This is the oil I bought at the dealer to use when I did my own oil changes. Put over 150K miles on that car/engine and the engine was just fine. The downside is I think oil changes were required every 3K or 4K miles.

But when I bought a new 2001 Camaro Z28 Chevy dealers used Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic oil.

In the case of my Porsche cars, starting with my 2002 Boxster, it was Mobil 1 0w-40. My 2002 Golf used the same oil. And ditto my 2006 Pontiac GTO.

For my MINI it was a BMW long life oil, 0w-20 I think. For my Challengers Dodge dealers used Pennzoil 0w-40.

For my BMW 230i the dealer uses this oil:

https://www.bmwpartsdeal.com/parts/b...215a42d32.html

My info is break in oil, at least in car engines, hasn't been used for years. I haven't been involved with motorcycles in decades. (My 1974 H-D Sportster came filled with H-D oil. I don't recall who made/packaged the oil for H-D.

It is perfectly fine to break in an engine with synthetic oil. The myth synthetic oil is too "slick" is really just a myth.

When I rebuilt a couple of engines -- way back in the early 1970s -- I did as my auto tech buddies advised and filled the rebuilt engine with the same oil I intended to use after "break in". And I picked an oil the factory recommended.

For the cam and lifters I did use a special grease supplied by the cam maker to give the cam lobes/lifters a bit of extra protection at first start.

This grease only lasted for a short time until oil flow flushed it away. It of course did end up dissolved in the oil but I believe its benefit was only required at and shortly after 1st start.
Appreciate 1
bobkat09151.50