10-18-2022, 08:25 AM   #29
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
+1 for Mobil1. I used nothing but M1 0w20 + OEM oil filters since day 1 on my Subaru BRZ. From 6 miles to still running strong at 192k after 9.5 years. Started with doing 3k mile intervals but eventually switched to 5k-7k .

Still trying to plan for my 240 oil change plan, likely will continue to do them myself, debating between 0w20 and 0w30.. likely will use OEM filters. Does Mobil 1 meet B58 specs?
Put a lot of miles on various cars with the engine filled with Mobil 1 0w-40 oil. (Later I switched to Mobil 1 5w-50 oil which was approved by the factory as long as temperatures stayed above -25C (-17F). Where I lived in northern CA these temperatures just didn't happen.)

And by lots of miles I'm talking close to 750K miles in total.

Mobil 1 proved to be a good oil. Never had any issues even remotely related to oil.

But when I decided to switch from Porsche cars and I bought my 1st Dodge Challenger Scat Pack I was quite on board with what the factory called for: Pennzoil 0w-40. Then with my MINI JCW the dealer used some BMW branded oil. (Probably the same oil BMW uses in my 230i.)

Pennzoil 0w-40 was also the oil used in my Hellcat and my 2nd Scat Pack.

The M-B Metris van gets I think Mobil 0w-40.

For my BMW 230i the dealer uses this oil:

https://www.bmwpartsdeal.com/parts/b...215a42d32.html

My point is while I have had good experience with Mobil 1 0w-40 oil I use what the factory calls for. Brand of oil and the viscosity. If 0w-20 is called for that's what I use.

It is kind of funny how often a new owner of a car will chose to use a different oil than what the factory calls for it seems for no other reason than the oil he wants to use is the oil that the factory called for using in another car's engine.

Call me old fashioned but I think the best authority, really the only authority, on what oil to use is the factory.
Appreciate 1