10-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #33
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
0w20 is prioritized for gas economy first and protection second. Obviously, the protection 0w20 provides in high-heat turbo protection is "good enough", but it's more about pleasing Congress (CAFE). 🖕🏻Congress
Protection is first and foremost. There are plenty of other car engines for which the factory still recommends a higher viscosity of oil, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40.

If it were just a matter of spec'ing 0w-20 for the gas economy first and adequate lubrication being left to chance all car makers would be spec'ing 0w-20.

If the oiling was inadequate BMW couldn't be sure the engine would last outside of warranty. So what attaboys from Kerry and Gretta BMW might get it would suffer from a considerable elevation in warranty claims.

Worse word would get out the engines are junk. They aren't but the use of 0w-20 with adequate lubrication taking a hind seat would make it seem so.

And EPA and CARB routinely test "used" vehicles to ensure that even though they may be used they are still in compliance. I got a letter from CARB wanting to "borrow" my Hellcat to emissions test. While I'm sure it would have passed -- the engine was stock -- I declined for various reasons.

If oiling was sub par a good number of engines in used cars even if they were still road worthy would be emitting hydrocarbons like a Chinese coal fired power station.

And there have been changes I'm sure to engine design to lower the oiling budget.

As comfortable as I was with previous car engines "requiring" 0w-40 I'm just as comfortable with my 230i engine requiring 0w-20.
Appreciate 2