02-13-2024, 06:40 AM   #39
LouK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
I’m okay with neither. But if a misappreciation of reality (I have the most dangerous job in the world) creates makes it WORSE, then we need to re-educate and retrain. If you saw the video of what I posted above where a totally unjustified stop put TWO people at risk between two vehicles (over warning other drivers of a speed trap) then you understand that people are making things worse.

We just passed a law in Virginia keeping police from stopping cars due to minor things. (Light out, etc.). The statistics to do so came from the police themselves. They were unable to show that the stops were productive in any other way then generating revenue.

It’s THIS CULTURE right here that makes traffic stops dangerous. Fire ten shots from exhaust backfire. Really.

Shawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Usdol is the “most dangerous job” statistic. #of occupation dead per year/ # of people in occupation. Farmers are usually number one. Alaskan boat crabbers are usually #2 or #3

As far as traffic stops, that comes from the police union themselves. If number of people killed at traffic stops per year > number of police officers killed per year at traffic stops, then those being stopped are statistically more at risk. Forget figuring out justified vs. unjustified. If you ask the police, they are ALL justified. But we know they’re not. Best quotes at police stops of the last ten years “I hope they stomp his ass”, and “20 years ago you’d be dead” - second quote was to unarmed guy with a camera at a library. Terrible crime? Filming.

These are demonstrable facts, if the sources are to be trusted. The “I point my gun and shoot at anything that scares me” culture is societal suicide. Police that don’t know the law, or don’t care, are making things worse. Takes less than 30 seconds to find some video of some ham handed police breaking the arm of some little old demented lady and then high fiving “great takedown” later while she’s screaming in a cell with a broken arm. Makes you wonder how much stuff happened before video.

This here could have ended in tragedy. If anyone wants to argue that driver should die over stupid tune, pretty sure I don’t wanna know you.

Shawn
As in any profession there are those who should not be in it. This is not specific to law enforcement. Health care workers, judges, lawyers, elected officials, all have bad apples in them.
I know this will not change your view and the video is a bit dated but it gives you a glimpse of how small the number of police incidents are.
If you can show me any job or profession where 100% of the people working in it are doing the right thing all the time I will tell you hell has froze over because it’s just not possible.
I do not believe any person in a profession should hold that position if they abuse there power, but the number of individuals doing so in law enforcement is much lower than what people say.
This is exacerbated by social media and the now now constant information.

https://youtu.be/nRd5oucG114?si=Ynim4CAN16RppQux
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1838.50