01-22-2023, 02:38 PM   #95
CodeSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '17 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
From Road and Track, 10/11/22:

"Weight is another big piece of news for the M2. With the manual curb weight comes in at 3814 pounds—about 200 pounds heavier than the outgoing M2 Competition. Add another 53 pounds if you spec the automatic. For M's smallest car, that's a whole lot of heft to carry around, even for something so modern. For more context, the 2023 M2 is about 200 pounds heavier than an E92-generation M3. It's also somehow just 16 pounds lighter than the bigger, more powerful, more spacious M4, going by BMW's own official curb weight numbers. BMW says a carbon-fiber roof is available as an option, but doesn't say how much weight can be saved when it's added."

Weight comparisons on vehicles are always confusing unless you know you are truly getting apples to apples. The 1700 kg roosterdentures listed above is 3,748 lb. I believe the weight savings for the CF roof vs. steel/moonroof on the F80 is about 44 lb.
Curb weight includes fluids I believe, the DIN unladen weight referenced in the press materials is without fluids. But yes, I think the weight differential for sunroof vs carbon roof is in the ballpark of 30-40 lbs. Plus another ~30-40lbs of savings if you switch to forged wheels. Not sure what the seat weight savings are for the carbon seats. Apparently aftermarket batteries can be lighter as well, that's about all the easy weight savings but should net you close to 100lbs.
Appreciate 0