View Single Post
      04-05-2024, 08:28 AM   #35
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
If find yourself working in fast food place and you’re not a teenager and still living under your parent’s roof, you should be saying to yourself what the hell did you do wrong in your life. Those jobs that pay minimum wage were meant for anyone to provide a living wage. Those are starter jobs to get experience and teach you to do something better in life.

I personally never did those kinds of jobs when I was teenager. I was always was able to find jobs that paid more, but those jobs required you to work hard real manual labor. One job I had was working in lumber yard loading contractors trucks, another was working on golf course taking care of greens and stuff, I also worked in the warehouse of moving company unloading and loading trucks.

I understand not everyone has skills, however, if you want to make a good living there are plenty of jobs that do not require a degree of specific skills that pay really well, but you have have to work. One example you can become a truck driver, most companies will train you and the starting wage is $55k, however, it’s not an easy work. There are 10 of thousands of truck driver jobs.
I agree, but the majority (in my experience, in CA) of fast food workers I see are in their 30s-50s, which suggests that is their 'career.' So my point is that there is a large number of unskilled worker unable or unwilling to upskill. If we eliminate the available work (which a wage hike like this inevitably does, covered already in one of the first posts), then these people will just need to be paid by all of us (unemployment and welfare).
Appreciate 1