10-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #147
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Yea, I honestly can't really swing a 6 figure car with 2 kids in full time daycare right now. The GTS with a couple options is $100K. I'd honestly consider a Cayman S to give me a bit more umph that I'm used to coming from a an F80 M3 before the base cayman, but again don't have back seats for the occasional weekend car show where I might want to bring kids. Also not sure even the S would get me close to the torque I was used to from the M3. I love every other aspect about the Cayman though, shifts incredibly well, handles like a dream, looks beautiful, analog interior with perfectly tactile buttons, etc. I think the practicality + power + value of the M2 has me leaning hard in that direction.
There are pros and cons to each. I had an f80 before my 718 and as an all around car, the f80 (or any M car for that matter) is hard to beat. It can haul the family around and still has the looks and performance to make an enthusiast happy. If you could only have one car it's tough to think of anything better than an M car.

That said, the 718 is a true sports car and a completely different experience than an M3/M2. 2 seats, low to the ground, mid engine… it's the real deal. Aside from raw power, the feel and balance of the car can't be matched by an M car. The things that make the 718 so great come at the price of space and practicality which is why it can't be the only car you own if you have a family.

In a perfect world you have the M car as your daily and 718 as the weekend car
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00