01-06-2022, 01:42 PM   #20
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkap27 View Post
0-60 is 3.6 seconds and the rolling start is 5.0? what a huge disparity has launch control really gotten that much better than just stepping on the gas?
Rolling start is measuring turbo lag, that's why it's such a useful test and in my opinion, much more important than 0-60 itself. The launch control program pre-spools the turbo on modern BMWs so differences in turbo lag between motors become much smaller. Out of all the cars I've owned, the electric Tesla was the only one I ever would have launched in a way that would replicate the advertised or magazine 0-60 times because I don't like to be too harsh on cars I personally own. That one was electric so it wasn't going to really hurt anything and it felt like a disposable appliance from day one so who cares anyways.

The 5-60 test gives you an idea of how quick a car actually feels in real life when you step on the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
It does feel like BMW chassis engineers are honing their craft on these cars to get ready for making the weight disappear on electric cars. But they are succeeding at that. Just would be better if they could also make the weight disappear literally.

I guess the question is, how will buyers react if the next M2 is slower than the M240i, especially if the M2 is more about being a "driver's car" then straight line speed.
That's already been the case many times in the past, I remember when I first got my 2011 135i and my brother had a 2008 M3, both 6MT. The 135i would almost always pull on the M3 below 100mph and we lined them up dozens of times. The 135i was especially quick if shifting before 6,500rpm before its power trailed off at the top end, the M3 of course should be revved right to 8,400 for max performance.
Appreciate 0