01-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #4
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpie View Post
Find it hard to believe they are shipped with the battery disconnected; never have seen this in any of the videos I've seen of cars rolling on and off the carrier ship.
Good point, i was wondering about that as well. To clarify, i hate to be a purveyor of misinformation, that info was not from first hand experience rather it was copied from an article on the Oxnard facility. It may not be correct. I suspect that the writer may have gotten it mixed up with the "transport mode" that often is used from factory for shipping.

Quote:
transport mode is:

- vehicle is limited to max-speed or max rpm (depending on manufacturer)
- spacers in suspension (or transport mode for air suspension)
- electric consumers are disabled (navi, radio, seat heater, remote control, interior lighting etc.)
- fluids on minimum (oil, cooling water etc.)

enable/disable only by on-board diagnostic system
The writer of the article i used for my original post may have confused the disabling of certain electronics with a battery disconnect...the disable is to keep battery drain to a minimum in case of long shipping/storage times. Parasitic drain on some of these cars can be substantial.

Also i am not sure if the recoding to turn off transport mode is done at a vehicle processing center or at the dealer during PDI. I have heard of it being done at dealer PDI.
Appreciate 0