soflacarguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g42 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post

ID 7 = two screens separated by some plastic bits.

ID8 = 1 big screen with no plastic bits dividing it in half.
Also higher resolution, faster processor, much higher resale value, etc.

It's like comparing an iPhone 4 vs. 6.

The only ones complaining seem to be boomers that don't like (understand) tech. Reminds me of my parents that can't figure out the nav on their $100K Benz and prefer driving their 15 year old MDX instead.
We've seen the ID8 haters exaggerate a bit, but the level of exaggeration in this post tops everything I've read so far lol.

1. Higher resolution is dependent on the "faster" processor because ID8 running efficiently will require more computing power. That doesn't mean ID8 will actually run "faster" than ID7. It comes down to the coding and resource efficiency when dealing with computing. A non boomer should understand this.

2. Much higher resale value is laughable. This isn't an LCI. In 3-4 years a '22 G42 with a proper stick and dash integrated cockpit will be much more scarce, and likely garner similar resale at the very least compared to '23's or even '24's. Now if we get an LCI with an ID8 nicely integrated into the dash among other updates- all 1st gen g42's will take a hit in resale.

3. Iphone 4 vs Iphone 6? Choosing these 2 obsolete devices for your comparison actually sounds like a boomer's metaphor quite frankly. Iphone 8 to Iphone X would've made more sense with the move to face id and home button removal lol

4. My favorite perhaps, is the reference to parents who prefer to drive a 15 year old MDX over a 100k MB. It was here when I knew your post must be a troll. Nonetheless I enjoyed replying back.

Im a Techie, I work in Tech, and I love cars. Im all for better graphics and higher resolution, but it's the dash integration that bugs me most. I do have a deposit on a G87 and my issue is not with the software that is ID8 or the bigger curved screen - I think it might actually be pretty cool - its the way its slapped on the dash I dislike. Not a deal killer though. I'm willing to give it a shot.
Appreciate 1
P_Chris156.50