View Single Post
      04-30-2022, 12:35 PM   #78
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
I suspect it will drive vastly better than it will look. The recent debut of the X7 LCI and new 7-Series has me seriously concerned about the future design direction at BMW, more so than during the Bangle era.
And what happened right after the Bangle direction? We got some of the best takes at 'classic' looking BMWs ever. With proportionate shaped kidneys. And neat symmetrical headlights. And boringly rounded bodies and perfectly straight edges. And just enough aggression to standout in a parking lot littered with cars that look a lot like yours, but for the badge.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Design ebbs and flows. Without the Bangle era you wouldn't have gotten the F87, F90 or F80. It would have taken BMW 20 years to gradually move in that direction before a whiplash back. instead they did it in one generation. The Bangle 7 and e60 M5 have some of the most copied design cues in the HISTORY of BMW and the car industry in general.

When the e31 showed its ugly wedge shaped mug (you can revisionist history all you want, fan boys, age has done it a little justice, but its mostly nostalgia) yuppies everywhere cried. And wondered what was happening to their e30 producing beloved german car maker. What would the boys at the country club think?

You'll ever get another boringly restrained e30. You can blame leases, mass access and mass appeal. You might get another F90 though.

Ebb and flow. I love this direction and can't wait for the next generation when they pull things back a little.

Last edited by OSee; 04-30-2022 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 3
02M3ForMe4270.50
COChris888.50