02-04-2024, 09:41 PM   #15
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Two choices imho.

The R8 gated would be fantastic but if i do remember correctly there's a huge, huge issue with the front end where it fails at a join in the chassis, it's like a $20K fix. Sorry does someone have a link to my gibberish?

The Supra is a great car but i dunno, too new imho, too much tech and related BS. THe Chevy is a performance monster but a bashed crab, it's so uncohesive in it's design.

I personally lean one way, a 997 manual GTS coupe is a very special car. It's the only RWD wide body Carrera and basically guaranteed not to lose value even if you drive it.

i'd add an Exige to this list as a pure drivers car.
the 08-09 models had some rare instances of that frame issues(mostly due to impacts) and can be retrofitted with reinforcement plate from dealer. The issue was fixed in the 2010 on up from the factory iirc.

The only two real main issues with the gen 1's are the magride suspensions that will eventually go bad and how costly they are to replace, that is why most people just swap them out for a good set of coil overs like KW's, etc when they do start to leak... and the other issue is AC compressors are not a cheap fix due to location.

As far as the 911's the manuals are just getting harder and harder to find on the used market these days too... Was looking for a 981 GTS in white or silver with alcantara and 6MT but just can't find one. 997 GTS manuals are fetching a pretty penny these days if you can find one.

I just have a feeling the gen1 gated R8's are one of those cars that are going to skyrocket soon due to how rare they are and no longer available ...the V10 versions are already getting crazy prices, the v8 versions are still somewhat accessible for now. Only about 10% or less of the available R8's on the market are manuals with that beautiful gated shifter.
Appreciate 0