View Single Post
      04-10-2024, 06:43 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Wondering if it's worth the hassle and if anyone actually did it. I was thinking it would be nice to have the windows always unobstructed and not worry about UV rays coming in causing sun damage (don't want to apply sunscreen in my own home!)/fading to furniture, etc. However, I read that they only last max 20-25 years, so that would suck to do it all over again, esp if it wears out nastily, e.g. distortion, bubbles, etc.

Yay or nay and why?
We do it when we move into a new home. We've got carpets, fabrics, photos, and artwork we don't want to fade, we want the contrast adjustment so we can enjoy the outside view without the glare and color-change of trees and plants on bright, sunny, high-humidity days, and the very modest improvement in heating and cooling costs for our uncovered windows is a nice-to-have. I think the film is a no-brainer for skylights unless the home is in the far north.

We've had no issues with distortion or bubbles; the longest we lived in a home with it on all the windows was 17 years. I'd guess the products continue to improve ever few years, just like PPF for cars.
Appreciate 1