E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Original battery

10-24-2024, 07:57 PM   #1
Aaronm206
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Original battery

first off, If this has been answered, Im sorry and would love a link to that thread. I have seen a lot of "Battery" posts but haven't found one to answer the question of how to find out what battery came in my car originally. It seems that these cars are very sensitive when it comes to electrical things. I have a 2008 335i E90 that I bought used. The battery is failing and Im not sure the battery that is in the car is correct and Id like to go back to what came in the car. How do I find that info? If it was a H6, H7, H8 etc. It seems they came with different batteries and I cant just get a "BMW 335i battery". If I cant find out what battery came in the car, can I just get a battery the says it will work for my car (from auto parts store) and code and register that? How exact a match do i need to the factory battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2024, 12:46 AM   #2
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

A scanner can tell you what battery type and AH capacity is currently registered.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:13 AM   #3
lordnikon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Stating the obvious. Can't you go and physically check the battery?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:33 PM   #4
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

I think/guess what the OP is saying is that he wants to know what battery the car came from the factory with when new, and that whatever is in the car now isn't a BMW-branded OEM battery.

My suggestion would be to take your car to the dealer and go to the parts counter with your VIN. Have them look it up. That will either get you very close if not exact info on what the car came with originally.

For what it's worth, you may find that purchasing that BMW-branded battery (whatever they say you should buy) is an entirely cost-effective option as in my experience, batteries are one of the few things that dealer parts departments have reasonably-priced. I've bought both of my replacement batteries from the dealer, and I wouldn't have done better purchasing a similar battery anywhere else.

OP will want to be able to register the battery properly once he gets it, assuming that it has different specs than whatever is being replaced.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:10 PM   #5
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Who cares what battery it came with from factory. I recommend getting an H8 AGM battery from a good manufacturer. A H8 will give you the maximum supported battery size in the battery box of your car's trunk. It won't neede maintenance and won't suffer from potential acid leaks like a flooded battery can.

I upgraded my cars to AGM H8s years ago, coded the car to know that it now has AGMs and haven't looked back since.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:47 PM   #6
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

While I’m sure part of the variance has to do with supply at the time of manufacturing, I think they’ve tended to ensure the bigger batteries were installed in colder climates and sometimes putting in smaller batteries in warmer climates. In cold weather, you’ll be in more situations where the extra current flow will give you a successful state.

Bigger battery of course means a bit more weight and a bit poorer fuel economy (but shorter interval between death and replacement)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:14 PM   #7
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Battery specifications and manufacturers change over the life of a car, and even during the production run.
You can get an idea of what was originally used via realoem
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_1999

But as others have said, contact your dealer with your VIN and they will tell you the latest and greatest spec for your car and operating conditions.
Appreciate 0