E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Right-side speakers stopped working (Hi-Fi system)

09-02-2024, 02:06 AM   #1
///Miro
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Exclamation Right-side speakers stopped working (Hi-Fi system)

Hoping to throw out this hail mary before going to a mechanic/electrician... Car is an E90 325i with the Hi-Fi audio system, as well as an aftermarket LOC/sub/amp.

I recently swapped aftermarket sub amps, and in the process, my right-side speakers stopped working -- both front and back. What upsets me most is I can't seem to figure out exactly what I did to make this happen.

The situation: A few years back I tapped into the audio wiring harness (thanks to some awesome diagrams by other members) and ran them directly to a Kicker IX1000.5 that was only used to power a 12" Rockford Fosgate sub. Subsequently I also added an AudioControl LC2i Pro, still without any issues.

More recently, I decided to take out the Kicker amp and replace it with a generic "Plinius" amp, but kept the AudioControl LC2i Pro. After performing this switch, the right-side speakers stopped working.

Reading through several posts, and trying several things have not been successful. Attempts are as follows:

* Disconnecting/reconnecting the plugs to the AudioControl and amp

* Disconnecting/reconnecting the battery

* Pulling all the audio-related fuses below, gathered from multiple threads:

Radio:
F31, F40, 14, 11

Amp:
F34, F8, 15, 8

"Audio":
F11, F23, F34, F8

* Buying a replacement Hi-Fi amp from Ebay and performing a swap

* Trying to (un)successfully use a multimeter to measure voltage coming to the right-rear speaker

Amp/LC2i are getting power and signal. Left-side speakers work fine, and only the sub works on the right side -- no audio coming from either door or rear deck. Swapping the existing Hi-Fi amp with the eBay replacement yielded no difference.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Below are photos of the wire taps I put for the audio, as well as the general wiring setup. Originally I thought maybe I accidentally cut a wire when drilling into the rear deck, but that doesn't seem to be the case since the wire harness doesn't go up that way, from what I can tell.

The only "silly" thing I did during installation was not disconnecting the battery while installing the new amp, but I have no idea how that would have affected speakers not even hooked up to it -- really odd.

Pictures:

Left-side audio tap for the left amp channel + tap for power-on wire:

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-09-01 at 11.33.20 PM.png
Views: 31
Size:  1.03 MB

Right-side audio tap for the right amp channel:

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-09-01 at 11.33.38 PM.png
Views: 30
Size:  408.7 KB

General wire routing:

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-09-01 at 11.33.58 PM.png
Views: 30
Size:  1.19 MB

Lil' Plinius that replaced the Kicker IX1000.5:

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-09-01 at 11.57.39 PM.png
Views: 34
Size:  600.2 KB

Last edited by ///Miro; Yesterday at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:55 PM   #2
///Miro
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Exclamation

Update: I did some additional testing and took the car to a local audio shop.

* I swapped the rear deck speakers, left-to-right and vice versa. The speakers are not blown, the right side channel just isn't playing any sound.

* The audio shop says that I'm getting signal to from the radio to the amp, and that the speakers are "seen" when probed -- but that the amp is not outputting anything onto the right-side channels.

* What befuddles the bejesus out of me is that the eBay stock replacement amp ALSO doesn't output to the right channel. What are the odds that I fried the right-channel on my unit, but ALSO bought a replacement that has the same problem? Just seems very improbable.

* As a hail-Mary, I replaced the battery, thinking *maaaaybe* that might solve the issue (and the car was having troubles starting up due to the old battery). It did not.

Any thoughts / ideas where I should go next? Audio shop said that I could cut the radio-to-amp connection wires and bypass the amp entirely, and put RCA plugs from that harness directly into a replacement aftermarket amp -- according to them, I'm getting enough signal from the radio to go directly to an amp, no LOC needed. I just have no clue what kind of wattage the stock speakers require. Has anyone done something to that effect? Any recommendations on a replacement amp?

I really have no idea where to go from here, aside from aftermarket amp replacement, or trying to get lucky on eBay. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:08 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Try measure the resistance from the amp connector to the speaker .
unplug the speaker and make sure that either side of the speaker wire does not short to ground.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
It would be best to be in the simplest configuration with the system returned to stock .
That means dissconnecting all that other stuff you mention at the beginning.
Appreciate 0