E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Carplay options for E90 CIC

Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #1
mvoltin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 328i

Carplay options for E90 CIC

Spent significant time exploring Carplay options for the "double-hump" CIC E90 (mine is E93) and there seem to be three choices (all seem to have ability to switch between original display and Carplay using iDrive and they all can be controlled with iDrive. Also, all claim to have retain steering wheel controls).

1) Box that attaches to CIC head unit is controlled by iDrive (no touch screen, the screen remains original).

2) Replacing head unit/display with a touchscreen. The display is the same size (8.8") and same location but has touchscreen. Controlled using iDrive or touchscreen.

3) Replacing display with a larger 10.25" or 12.3" unit that sits closer to an user (similar to F30). All the functions are similar to #2 above but the touchscreen is bigger and easier to reach.

Any advice would be appreciated but here is criteria:
  1. My CIC is an early 2008 unit without Bluetooth support.
  2. I am not looking for high-fidelity sound and not planning to spend $500+ on a car I paid $5000 for. I am just looking for a "glorified phone holder" that will allow for navigation, phone calls, podcasts.
  3. I am relatively tech savvy and have no problem digging in the wiring, coding using BMW suite of tools
  4. Don't see point for #2 since the display is so far from a driver, trying to reach in and use it as a touch screen seems neither safe nor practical.
  5. Reviews get progressively worse as you move from option 1 to 3 but functionality of #3 is so much better than #1 (only controlled by idrive).
  6. I am willing to try an option and send it back if it doesn't work. But don't want to spend days/weeks troubleshooting something.

Anybody has any experience or insight on the options listed?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #2
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

is early CIC is a thing? Are you sure this is not a CCC with a low-resolution screen?

If it's the case, then #2 is the way to go, xTrons are making a OEM look screen.
It works with all controls, and touch screen as an option if you ever need it.

# 2 and 3 got full android, so really a plus here. You can do what android auto do, and way more.

#1 is the most economical one, however, if you have the low-res screen not so fun. Depending of what sound system you have, some reported mr12volts is way better, since it use MOST data, instead of AUX analog input. RoadTop use AUX and sound quality is lower.
RoadTop is way cheaper tho.

#3 is not E9x like, it's too big, and look ugly over a double-hump. Better if you have a flat dash, but tons of work.

Last note, most if not all option other than mr12volts will use analog input for audio.
Some can use Bluetooth input, but since you dont have, it wont matter.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 01:33 PM   #3
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

What i did (and am very happy with end result).

1st retrofit combox with bluetooth.
2nd get the Roadtop MMI unit for $270.
3rd add backup camera for RoadTop.
4th replace screen with OEM 8".

I use the RoadTop MMI unit quite rarely for Waze & to watch movies when i need to wait for somebody or play NES games (screenshare with phone + controller). So the only real benefit of it is backup camera.

Often i prefer to use phone for Waze since it's faster and easier to setup. (Only for long trips i use the WiFi AndroidAuto to put Waze on the car screen).
I have THIS holder that is in sort of perfect spot. You can even get some better ones that have built in wireless charging option.

Combox provided bluetooth & USB memory stick playback (128GB stick) is plenty good and it works 100% always.
Have the music in .WAV format and it begins playing almost instantly when car has ignition.
I am tierd of the problems caused by the Android 8" Screen which i had previously (touchscreen). Eventually i threw it out.
It's slow (when filled up with data), sometimes crashes, bad audio quality, super annoying to fit all the wiring and barely worked when it was -20 degrees outside.
I even tried Dension 500S BT which was annoying to use and was reducing sound volume at random times + bad bluetooth + annoying to switch between sources (it was emulating CD changer and prividing digital input = no loss in quality) + aftermarket mic was bad because it was also emitting car noise and i had to crank the volume higher to hear the other person.
Then when switching back to music it would blast it at very high volume.

My advice is stick to OEM stuff for primary functions because you want it to work 100% of times. OEM mic is really good at cancelling the road noise (i have fitted it into the left slot so it's closer to driver). But it picks up anyone voice in the car at any seat so it was fun to do occasional "conference" type of calls.

I have no experience with mr12Volt stuff but i suppose is also good alternate option for Combox. (i was thinking of this but got the combox complete retrofit set for super cheap less than 150$).
But it seems to use the "CD" button and played through CD changer channel and i hated that option (similar to Dension) since it takes too many menu trips to navigate there + having to manage the sources constantly.
So for Mr12Volt you need to already have car bluetooth to get the quality microphone experience which means ULF/MULF2/Combox has to be previously installed.
ULF/MULF is sort of useless as they overheat and die.
Combox provides already two huge features and is the Carplay then worth the extra investment?

Last edited by Captain Buumer; Yesterday at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #4
mvoltin
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
is early CIC is a thing? Are you sure this is not a CCC with a low-resolution screen?
When BMW started implementing CIC on 3 series, they didn't have Bluetooth streaming (I think CIC started in mid 2008 and BT streaming was added in 2010?). This is what I mean by "early CIC".

I see your point about having touchscreen "just in case". Otherwise, I never cared about Android, never installed any other software. I have diagnostic tools in case I want to figure out something but don't need to monitor the car more than that.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #5
mvoltin
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post
What i did (and am very happy with end result).

1st retrofit combox with bluetooth.
2nd get the Roadtop MMI unit for $270.
3rd add backup camera for RoadTop.
4th replace screen with OEM 8".
Thank you but I may be little slow here, can you explain?

1) why would you need combox with Bluetooth when RoadTop MMI has Bluetooth?

4) screen would still be OEM with the RoadTop , correct? why would it need to be replaced?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #6
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have full android on my audi, with touch screen, very useful to tap a address in waze fast, or even using full android app that are not supported by android auto.

Like Y music ( act like spotify, no ads, from youtube )

Full app like JB4 of MHD.

The only use from my cellphone, is to share data (hotspot).

Imo there's no point to go with a MMI if you use USB drive for mp3 and your cellphone for waze.

I want my dash clean of cellphone and have waze and mp3 / streaming on the OEM screen, so mr12volts or road top are the way to go.

Yes the MMI box like mr12volt and roadtop utilise the OEM screen. Sound quality and price are the main difference. Support for both seems to be very mediocre at best.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #7
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335i, '18 BRZ

I just installed a RoadTop MMI box for my 2011 E93. I did the same research as you, and my understanding is that the #2 units have issues with current draw or long startup times. The #3 units require cutting the dashboard, something that I didn't want to do, and I can say that the 8.8" CIC screen is more than big enough.

I got a RoadTop MMI box from AliExpress based on price, otherwise I would have gone with Mr12Volt. Bimmertech looks exactly like the AliExpress units, and I can't fathom their asking price. I also added a backup camera from GreenYi and it's surprisingly crisp, although it does take 2-3 seconds to come on (I'm thinking perhaps to hook it up to constant power instead of the reverse power from the RoadTop MMI box).

The lack of touchscreen doesn't bother me much - voice control (using the steering wheel button) works well, iDrive control is decent and I honestly don't use the infotainment much.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #8
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

here mr12volts is 660$ cad + probably customs.

while roadtop is 230$ no additional fees.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #9
mvoltin
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I just installed a RoadTop MMI box for my 2011 E93. I did the same research as you, and my understanding is that the #2 units have issues with current draw or long startup times. The #3 units require cutting the dashboard, something that I didn't want to do, and I can say that the 8.8" CIC screen is more than big enough.

I got a RoadTop MMI box from AliExpress based on price, otherwise I would have gone with Mr12Volt. Bimmertech looks exactly like the AliExpress units, and I can't fathom their asking price. I also added a backup camera from GreenYi and it's surprisingly crisp, although it does take 2-3 seconds to come on (I'm thinking perhaps to hook it up to constant power instead of the reverse power from the RoadTop MMI box).

The lack of touchscreen doesn't bother me much - voice control (using the steering wheel button) works well, iDrive control is decent and I honestly don't use the infotainment much.
Thank you. Just ordered the RoadTop unit; should be here in a week or so. Will probably skip the camera for now (just don't have time) but may add later. Will keep the forum posted.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3354.00