E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > replacing a kombi Low to kombi High help?

10-10-2024, 06:13 PM   #1
kevinXA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D, Porsche BoxsterS

replacing a kombi Low to kombi High help?

Hi all!

I've been lurking for a while now for all kinds of awesome things you can do to the E90 platform. I have a E91 320D LCI from october 2011 and I'm running up to a problem.
I've been searching on this forum and elsewhere to look into a kombi low to kombi high switch and the nesassary coding to do so. For now I have a 330D kombi High laying on my desk but don't want to go in blind.

The soft and hardware available:
Bimmerlink/bimmercode with a vLinker
A original Xprog with updated software
And a D-link cable out for delivery for the rest of the software.

My background, I'm a electrical engineer for a while now and am familiar with arduino and familiar with C and C++ etc.

So is there anyone who has already done it, maybe as part of another project and can share some light on the know-how of this mod?

Greetings from the Netherlands!
Kevin XA
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #2
kevinXA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320D, Porsche BoxsterS

In the end I figured it out
Got a slightly burned kombi high cluster from a 2014 330D E84.
The milage was lower than my own so had no need for changing the milage.
For this chip, the m35160 series it's easier to just replace the chip if your milage is higher an you only have a Xprog. The first two lines are/were protected.

Afterwards rewrote the VIN on the ST 160D0WT in line 2E0 to match my car with a Xprog-m 6.8 but left everything else intact of the random junkyard E84 programming.

Just to be safe also made a backup of the original 080D0WT EEPROM from the kombi low cluster but wasn't mandatory. I did it the lazy way, just remove the needles and put a SOIC8 clamp on the m35080 (st 080D0WT) and directly on the IC 8 dip pin connector of the Xprog. Also short out the processor Crystal on the back so it can't start up and interfere with the EEPROM readingjust in case.

After this is all done and finished I used (only) bimmercode in expert mode to setup the Kombi high by comparing the data with the Kombi low data in bimmercode, changed what was suspected of errorcodes and got it all functioning and setup in a decent amount of time.

So! In the end everything is codable without the bmw tools like ncs etc.
It was quite a challange though...

Next step for me is the DSC and wheel sensors from the 4-cil to the 6-cil and activate everything necassary for VO $544 , cruise control with braking.
The plan is working step by step towards ACC since the car is also the daily driver and can't be missed for long.

I hope this info can help someone else and good luck!

Kevin XA

My main source was this page and a lot of in depth reading about xprog

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1179928&page=5
Appreciate 0