E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 2009 535XI Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power (Limp Mode)- First time poster

Today, 01:01 AM   #1
Cinderwolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 535XI

2009 535XI Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power (Limp Mode)- First time poster

Recently, I was fortunate enough to receive a 2009 BMW 535XI as a gift. The car has had significant work done, including a transmission replacement, and while it has 188,000 miles and shows its age, it drives fine for now. The main issue I'm facing is limp mode, which I assume is related to the "Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power" warning. I'd like some advice on the best way to approach this.

Although I'm not experienced with car repairs, I want to at least buy the right parts and understand how to address this problem. Taking it to a mechanic every time isn't financially feasible, and many common issues with the car are well-documented. From what I've read, limp mode could be caused by things like cracked or broken boost lines, dirty or faulty solenoids, bad vacuum seals, or damaged charge pipes.

I'd prefer to tackle several potential issues at once, so I’m looking for guidance on the best approach. To be clear, I’m not looking to modify the car extensively, just to handle basic maintenance and fix common problems myself. Since I don’t have a driveway, I'd likely be working on the street, but luckily, I live in a part of Brooklyn with decent street parking.

My questions are:
  • What parts should I buy ahead of time to address these issues, and should I buy them new or used as there many part outs in my area?
  • Are there any upgrades I can make to simplify future maintenance and reduce its frequency?
  • What type of charge pipe would you recommend?
  • Should I replace the solenoids or try cleaning them with brake cleaner?
  • Is there a roll of silicone hose I can buy to replace commonly failing parts?
  • Is there a good way to best isolate what could be causing this problem?
  • What tools would be essential for tackling these jobs?

The only other modification I plan is installing an Android screen from AliExpress, which should arrive soon. Hopefully I’m not in over my head, and I’ve found a few local people who do street maintenance that I could hire at a reasonable cost. But I really want to be hands-on and approach this with a clear plan.

The check engine light comes on and off, and I’ll try to get the codes soon, but any advice, videos, links, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know the general idea is that this car is most likely a waste of time, but I guess a fell for the sunk cost fallacy as alot of money has been put into it and I do really like how it drives/feels. I'm not sure if buying a new car is feasible right now since I'm in graduate school and need to be smart with my money. Thanks for the read, also crazy ask but if you can explain certain parts and what they might do with clarity that would be immensily helpful (although this is not an expectation), and I hope this is a start to me becoming more mechanically literate.

Last edited by Cinderwolf; Today at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:24 AM   #2
sparkyte
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 335 XI

Hello,

its definitely a start for you to become more mechanically literate when you got an 188 000 mile n54. For the limp mode, you will need to read the codes at least as it can be anything, at least get a direction. First you can tell us what has been done to the car as maintenance/mods as you said its quite some stuff. Also get to know what's the issue for the limp mode as it may be something serious and not a simple or cheap problem to fix, then start from there. There are a lot of videos on youtube, at least thats my main source of repair info for my car. Initial maintenance includes:

-spark plugs, ignition coils eventually checking the index of the injectors and if they are leaking or not
-water pump + thermostat
-belt + pulleys and while in there put a crank seal guard
-change to a metal charge pipe
-oil change
-does it have downpipes or cats? Does it have any smoke?
-eventually clean the solenoids too
-are there any leaks? Like valve cover, oil pan, oil filter housing?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:38 AM   #3
swellengear
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

As mentioned above, limp mode can be caused by MANY things.

The first thing you need to invest in is a good code reader, or, better yet, a cable and a copy of INPA. This will be vital for N54 ownership.
Appreciate 0