E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Door and sunroof seals creaking badly after Gummi Pflege

08-18-2024, 07:53 AM   #1
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

SOLVED (fix down in the comments)
As you read it.. I bought a 60k mile mint 2012 E91 that didn’t make one noise or creak, so what did my dumbass do?

I decided to put Gummi Pflege on all the rubber seals to supposedly keep them from deteriorating over time, big mistake.

Now my once mint wagon is as creaky as the most beat up old Explorer at your local flea market. It creaks very bad and loud anytime the chassis flexes even slightly. Mainly from the B pilllar area but I can hear it on the sunroof too since I applied the product there. Just watch the videos:

I’ve been reading up a lot on previous threads about this to find a solution but figured I’d ask too.

From factory I imagine the seal has no product on it so if I could get away with something that I don’t need to apply every 2 months it’d be nice, the noises started right AFTER applying this garbage

Here’s some videos:

https://youtube.com/shorts/tjmnytjo_...1OrnTAoRKL_hmj

https://youtube.com/shorts/uu4HxedHe...bsQe3woCFnzuul

https://youtube.com/shorts/-5LU23T_6...TE7-5RsOIQkz0w
      08-21-2024, 07:39 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Does your wagon have shadowline trim?

That's really weird as I've only ever had the opposite problem. IMO clean them well and wait for any residual to wear off is probably your best choice
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2024, 10:31 PM   #3
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Does your wagon have shadowline trim?

That's really weird as I've only ever had the opposite problem. IMO clean them well and wait for any residual to wear off is probably your best choice
I read up and they recommend cleaning with silicone remover. I did this like 8 months ago. It’s never gone away
      08-22-2024, 12:04 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
I read up and they recommend cleaning with silicone remover. I did this like 8 months ago. It’s never gone away
That's so strange. I've only had gummi pflege make it quieter, never add creaks so not sure what to recommend here.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2024, 04:23 PM   #5
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Not sure why Gummi Pflege would do that. Maybe it caused the rubber to expand and rub?

My door seals used to creak during chassis flexing until I put 303 Aerospace Protectant on them
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2024, 02:58 PM   #6
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Guys I solved this problem, I used BMW Silicone Remover Concentrate 83125A855B9 and applied it to the areas I’m going to show down here. Cleaned several times with a microfiber and the product and dried with another towel.

The problem is most common with the top felt area getting dirty and gummy and making noise against the shadow line trim and the b pillar front door against the rear door front seal.

I did not clean the actual thick rubber door seals with this because I felt it was unnecessary and this was trial and error cleaning certain parts and test driving until it went away.

BMW has a service bulletin with this very issue where they recommend this procedure.
Attached Images