E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rear Axles (GKN)

10-04-2024, 09:02 PM   #1
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Rear Axles (GKN)

Has anyone here purchased GKN axles for their 335?

Right before the hurricane hit I was in the process of replacing my rear left wheel bearing. Once I got the axle out I pretty quickly realized it may have been the source of my “wheel bearing” noise. The outer join had some audible rotational play in it. Probably explains the clicking noise when driving next to a wall too.

Well, I ordered a new axle and now with the rain gone I just got it in.

I went back to my old axle and immediately could see the OE shaft was much thicker than the new GKN. The GKN even had two areas that were stepped down to an even thinner design right by the joints. This is really odd to me, as the one that came off the car originally even has a GKN sticker and I was under the impression GKNs were the original part.

I’m looking to see if anyone else has noticed this and if they’ve had any issues with GKN replacements.
      Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #2
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

You probably have the wrong part. I replaced one of my rear axles and the GKN part was identical to the original. There is a load of different part numbers out there for the E9x so easy to get the wrong one.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #3
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You probably have the wrong part. I replaced one of my rear axles and the GKN part was identical to the original. There is a load of different part numbers out there for the E9x so easy to get the wrong one.
I did order from FCP. Part # on the box, order, and axle shaft all match. I used RealOEM for the OE number and search.
      Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

In my experience, OE parts are often significantly different than genuine parts. If the part number is for a 335 and you aren’t making crazy power I’m sure it’s just fine but I can think of a number of examples of this.

It’s also possible that there were several iterations as they cheapened quite a few things down on e90s later in their run.
Appreciate 0