E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 500ish hp goal - What mods should I do?

Today, 02:41 AM   #45
suspect
.******.
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
the clutch was original and 100k km, city driven. So adding a tune was too much.

I ve a twin disk now, good up to 740lb.

TT give you low end torque, so yes 500hp is ''conservative'' if all the torque is not drop down at low rpm from a stop. A tuner can adjust boost per RPM.

for the tune I do a mix. I log a lot, look at all parameter avoiding blowing up the engine, when I feel the car is where I want, I check the power on virtualdyno, and then send everything to a tuner that will edit the .bin fine on tunerpro.

I've started to studying and understand tunerpro for a N54, but I dont have enough experience to mess with this.

Increasing power is a good balance between boost pressure and timing.
I'm running 23psi with 8° timing for around 430whp on map 6.

Map 8 I did not finishing it yet, but I'm at 27psi with 7.5° timing + meth. I must be over 500whp for sure, somewhere 600+to the crank.
I have been trying to learn how to tune N54 too. There’s stuff out there like some YouTube tutorials and v8baits excel sheet but it’s difficult to get started.

How long does it take to make a tune good enough to drive the car normally?

Could I ask how many miles you have on your engine and is yours a manual or auto? Those are good numbers.

Last edited by suspect; Today at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:57 AM   #46
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
I have been trying to learn how to tune N54 too. There’s stuff out there like some YouTube tutorials and v8baits excel sheet but it’s difficult to get started.

How long does it take to make a tune good enough to drive the car normally?

Could I ask how many miles you have on your engine and is yours a manual or auto? Those are good numbers.
75k miles and manual.

Jb4+MHD you dont need to have a sorted out tune to enjoy the car. Out of the box it's fine for many different setup , check all the base maps here : https://www.jb4tech.com/forum/model-...end-flash-maps

Then once you've flashed the MHD base map, you can switch maps on the JB4 or do a custom one. However the JB4 has a limit, which is where I am now.

I need someone to edit the .bin file and reflash with MHD to go higher with the JB4
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:56 AM   #47
konstat
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Sport

I’ve been running MHD Stage 2+, 91 octane with E30 and have been happy with that. I might have junk 93 gas in my area or the tune is aggressive and so the E30 is needed to clear up my timing corrections. I ran a 12.16s quarter mile at 113mph so I’m likely around 400 whp. I have plans on upgrading to 17ts at some point to get me to 500whp. Brand called ViV auto parts, China turbos but most reputable ones from what I’ve seen.

If you want to tune yourself with MHD you can use TunerPro which is an open source tuning software (free). If you want a custom tune you could reach out to Ken at Wedge Performance. He can perform an e-tune since you’re over in Italy (OP).
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv3.00
      Today, 09:02 AM   #48
vmqxdv
Rep
Drives: (will) BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstat View Post
I’ve been running MHD Stage 2+, 91 octane with E30 and have been happy with that. I might have junk 93 gas in my area or the tune is aggressive and so the E30 is needed to clear up my timing corrections. I ran a 12.16s quarter mile at 113mph so I’m likely around 400 whp. I have plans on upgrading to 17ts at some point to get me to 500whp. Brand called ViV auto parts, China turbos but most reputable ones from what I’ve seen.

If you want to tune yourself with MHD you can use TunerPro which is an open source tuning software (free). If you want a custom tune you could reach out to Ken at Wedge Performance. He can perform an e-tune since you’re over in Italy (OP).
I’ll probably run a MHD tune and then get a custom custom dyno tune, the nearest dyno tuner is 2 and half hours from where I’m (there are only 2 in this region), that’s because I’ve read/seen that tunes made on the street ain’t that much precise, and being completely honest I would be scared to lunch my car while a guy is tuning it
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:58 AM   #49
konstat
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Sport

I don’t blame you, you’re not wrong for worrying about that. If you choose a tuner that has tuned many N54s especially with 17ts the risk is much lower since they’ll be starting you off with a known map that works. You also don’t need to rip it when you load their map. I would actually start with half throttle pulls and work your way to full throttle while reviewing the logs of each pull to ensure things look healthy.

From my understanding Ken literally only tunes N54s. There are also other tuners out there with N54 experience but I have only worked with Ken and my experience has been good.
Appreciate 1
vmqxdv3.00
      Today, 12:55 PM   #50
vmqxdv
Rep
Drives: (will) BMW 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstat View Post
I don’t blame you, you’re not wrong for worrying about that. If you choose a tuner that has tuned many N54s especially with 17ts the risk is much lower since they’ll be starting you off with a known map that works. You also don’t need to rip it when you load their map. I would actually start with half throttle pulls and work your way to full throttle while reviewing the logs of each pull to ensure things look healthy.

From my understanding Ken literally only tunes N54s. There are also other tuners out there with N54 experience but I have only worked with Ken and my experience has been good.
I’ll take in consideration this! If he is an experienced guy he will probably do a great job
Appreciate 0