E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > One side rubbing a bit, other no.

04-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep
Drives: 320D - E93

One side rubbing a bit, other no.

Hi all, I already saw few posts but didn’t find proper solution.

Recently I changed from 19s MV4s back to 18s, style 350 from F10. My car is E93 pre LCI, M Sport 320D.

Now, comparing offsets to MV4, fronts are 7mm out, while back ones are 5mm sucked in. To bring them in “line” I should have 12mm spacer at the back, I had 15 only and installed them as people are using even 20 at the back without problems.

Front look the same, flush with fender, actually 5mm in compared to femder edge, while back ones are a bit different, right one is around 12mm from fender edge while left one is around 5mm amd this is one wheyI have very slight rub. :/

Problem os that caf was recently in for wheel alignment and I’ll post results here. Strange is that compared to MV4s, rear wheels are only 10mm out and it’s rubbing a bit.

Also to mention tyres are 235/40/18 on 8.5J ET30 and back 265/35/18 on 9J ET44 + 15mm spacer.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

There is some slack in the subframe so it could be shifted more to one side than the other.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 12:49 AM   #3
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep

Thanks for repl. Can this be done somehow? Something needs to be replaced or it’s just a matter of some adjustment? :/
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 12:59 AM   #4
The Maxican
Hola
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Datsun 280Z

I've dealt with this on my car before as well and seen a few other people deal with this. I've heard a few different reasons from the people at my local dealership, some have said that it might have been an alignment issue, which is possible as the wheels do not have to have the exact same camber and toe to be considered "in spec". Others have said that the bodywork may not be perfectly symmetrical. Some techs have even told me that the left rear wheel is supposed to poke out slightly more than the right rear (I don't know how valid this statement is).

Easiest solution would be to either roll your fenders or change the size of the spacers. On my car the offset of my wheels was perfect on the left and slightly sunk in on the right even though my alignment was the exact same on both sides, so I just threw a 5mm spacer on one side and I've never had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep

I would like to avoid fender rolling. Or I’ll get 12mm so it would match front ones and hopefully not rub, as it’s really sligh rubbing while going fast over huge bumps... bit definitely I’ll try to find someone amd try to bring wheels to be the same if possible. For now I removed spacers but they look sucked in compared to front ones. :/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by najericam View Post
Thanks for repl. Can this be done somehow? Something needs to be replaced or it’s just a matter of some adjustment? :/
Although there is some adjustment on the subframe to chassis there is no guarantee that your problem can be resolved. You may have to run a thinner spacer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #7
najericam
Private
Malta
Rep

Well, today I went ti check wheel alignment and all is ok. Left one (that was rubbing) was slightly off, but not much fix rubbing issue. I even noticed that left sode of the car is higher, and rubbing... lol - but this is apparently ok to accommodate drivers height, although car is RHD they did not change this. Funny story. Still looking around if there is solution to adjust is somehow and if no I’ll try smaller spacer.

Another thing, with 15mm spacer is basically like stock rim with 10mm because difference in offset, stock 39 compared to current 44. Amd people are installing 20mm spacers in combination with 265 tyres and don’t rub. :/ I’m thinking it might be some body work done at the end although car looks perfect and nothing is noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:17 AM   #8
nunesz335d
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d E92 LCI

Hello do you by any means did find a solution? thank you.
Appreciate 0