E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2011 328xi 6-SPD Loss of Acceleration on Highway

Today, 12:01 PM   #1
cbimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 328xi

2011 328xi 6-SPD Loss of Acceleration on Highway

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this thread and I am looking for some input on an issue I am having with my 2011 328xi 6-SPD.

Brief backstory: I have had the car for 2 years, and it now has around 84k miles on it. Purchased it from a one owner before me and the car has always been serviced at a BMW dealership. I have gotten oil changes, inspections, and tires done all at the same dealership as well. So safe to say the car has been taken care of. However, my first year or so of owning the car I would let the tank get to empty often as I was in college and stupidly did not know that this is terrible for the car.

Issue: The reason I am making this post is because I have been having an acceleration issue when on the freeway. About 3 weeks ago on my way up the canyon on a weekend trip, I noticed my car lose power when going uphill in 5th and 6th gear. Ever since then it happens at least once a day on my commute to and from work. It only happens on the freeway and when getting off the freeway the problem still persists.

When I say loss of power, it is like the throttle position is incorrect or is not responsive. I will be WOT and it will very slowly acceleration and when I try to blip the pedal to downshift there is basically no response for 2-3 seconds and then it slowly will go up in RPM. However the issue does not happen in the lower gears when driving in the city. Unless, it is when I am getting of the freeway the lack of power/throttle input still persists.

Also, it does go away if I am going downhill on the freeway or if I change gears and hit the pedal a couple of times. The responsiveness will come back.

I have scoured these treads looking for an answer but haven't found anything conclusive. I have no idea if it is my throttle position sensor, a bad plug or coil, VANOS, or something with the fuel system. The car also has thrown no codes and seems to be fine on fuel economy. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated before I start spending money on identifying and solving this problem. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:05 PM   #2
VinnyK
Rep
Drives: 06 330i/6 03 530i/5 05 530i

Do you have any codes?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:24 PM   #3
cbimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 328xi

No I do not have any codes. I do not have a code reader and the dealer as well as local shops said I would have to pay a diagnostic fee to have them check it out. There has been no warning light or CEL either.
Appreciate 0