E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > High mileage 320Si Buying guide N45B20S

08-10-2024, 08:55 AM   #1
BigAchmed69
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320Ci

High mileage 320Si Buying guide N45B20S

As these are rare cars, there isn't too much info on here especially for high mileage examples! I will be buying one shortly (cheaper than other 320 models) and will share my experience and other insight.

The car in question has ~205000km on the clock. As is stands, the engine has not suffered from the infamous cylinder liner crack and other than the interior, is in good shape. I welcome other members to share their experience with this model and would like to know what other specific issues, I should look out for.

I only have another BMW, E46 320Ci, which I am supercharging. So I would appreciate any additional info specific to the 320Si.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:05 PM   #2
Gilgamešas
Registered
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d, BMW E90 320si

Hi, I own one 320si with 294 780 km (183 167 miles) on the odometer. I bought it well maintained, so most of the things are in complete working order from what I could gather in the short time that I've driven it. The infamous cylinder liner issue has not touched this engine (thankfully!). However there are two or three issues at the moment. The engine is firing rather weird (as if constantly misfiring), so a change of spark plugs is order. The big issue, that's pending (and I believe it's the issue that caused spark plug failure) are the valve stem seals that have probably worn out and are due for a change (from what I've gathered if you're car spits out white-blueish smoke on start up and after warmup runs fines, that's an indicator your valve stem seals are bad and are leaking oil). Yet I'm not completely sure (only speculating) that this could indirectly cause the failure of spark plugs. And finally and issue with thermostat. It's sort of a mistery to me, since I can't find a trustworthy source on the temperature that the thermostat should open. I have one source but I'm not completely sure of it and wanted to ask you, what working temperature does your 320si reaches after warming up? Mine stays at around 65 degrees Celsius (149 degrees F) and increases only by a bit under heavier load (to around 75-84 degrees (167-183 degrees F). Thanks for your answer and looking forward to any answers.

Name:  e60dc48d-1186-4232-ba39-19684440094f.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  78.9 KB
Appreciate 0