E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Is "Carly" a good scanner / coding device for 2011 e90 328i

12-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
yenxmq
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 328i

Is "Carly" a good scanner / coding device for 2011 e90 328i

Wondering if it was a waste of money and how it compares to bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You are better off with Bimmergeeks Pro Tool it's not a subscription service
and the support is better.
If you can superior to that is a bimmergeeks cable and Ista D/P on laptop.
You need a laptop and a K/D can cable bimmergeeks cable recommended.
Downloads found on this board at the coding subforum and bimmergeeks.

Ista D is like having a shop manual with guided troubleshooting. Also everything
in in English or the supported languages.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References 210523 Revision.pdf (235.9 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by ctuna; 12-11-2021 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Carly would not register my battery. They don't know why and won't fix it. Otherwise Carly works fine for reading codes.
      12-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenxmq View Post
Wondering if it was a waste of money and how it compares to bimmercode
Why would you pay Hundreds of Dollars (over several years with subscription fees) to have Carly and the possible "Bricked Modules" described in this Video?

While the Brit Accent in the video is a bit hard to understand, he appears to know what he is talking about, and he uses and recommends BMW Standard Tools (NCS for Coding & WinKFP for Programming). BMW Standard Tools also included INPA Diagnostic Software, which is BMW Factory-Level Software.

He also indicates he uses ISTA (ISTA Screen shown @ 11-second mark in Video). ISTA is BMW Dealer-Level Software which provides complete Fault Code, Status or Live Data readouts, and Activations or Triggering of Electric Motors/ Solenoids, reset of Adaptations, etc. ISTA also provides Interactive Wiring Diagrams, Repair Procedures, Functional Descriptions of HOW a system works, Fluid & Torque specs, etc.

ISTA also has "Directed Troubleshooting" or a "Trail of Breadcrumbs" for those who don't want to take the time to understand a wiring diagram, how the system works, etc., and just want to follow a "Flow Chart" approach to troubleshooting.

The pdf that "ctuna" attached to Post #2 in this thread contains links to MANY references, such as RealOEM.com Parts Catalog; Bentley Manual in searchable pdf format; BMW Standard Tools (INPA); ISTA+, etc.

Any Windows 7 or Windows 10 OS computer, including a Desktop, can serve as a desk reference for viewing ISTA Documents (Wiring Diagrams, Repair Procedures, etc.), and if you have a Windows Laptop, the ONLY expense is a BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable to connect Laptop USB Port to OBD II Socket of vehicle ($45). You then have everything needed for Diagnostics, Coding, Programming, etc., using BMW Software.

Carly CAN reportedly LOG parameters or Live Data. I'm NOT aware of HOW to do that with either INPA or ISTA, but that feature has rather limited value, when Freeze Frame Data often shows the pertinent Parameter Values at the instant a Fault Code was saved, as either INPA or ISTA can easily provide. INPA or ISTA also easily provides clear viewing of Live Data, showing Parameter Values in real time, such as Eccentric Shaft Angle, Cam Angle, Spark Advance, Sensor Signals (ECTS, O2, etc.) Coolant Pump or Fuel Pump % Speed or RPM, E-Fan % Speed.

So for me, it's rather a "No-Brainer": BMW Software FREE vs. Carly for $$$
George
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #5
Huskypsyd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6spd.

I have found it useful if I don't want to hook up my laptop to my car. I have noticed that ever since Carly went with yearly memberships the quality went down.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

I'm guessing I've had Carly for so long I'm grandfathered in for no subscription. Also registered a battery this past Friday for no cost, which I thought it had. Any other option is more sophisticated, and while I'm a smart guy, I had trouble getting my arms around other options. If it cost money, I wouldn't use Carly, and if I wasn't simple with computers, I wouldn't use Carly. Good luck in any direction you take.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I would go with Bimmergeeks Pro Tool over Carly . Buy it once not subscriptions
and it is more well supported.
Best to do the BMW Standard Tools and Ista D if you are really interested in
your car. Ista D is like a shop manual with guided troubleshooting and more.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:06 PM   #8
troyrpierson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Toyota Celica

I've used Carly for some time now, and while it’s user-friendly and great for basic tasks like reading fault codes, I do find it lacking for deeper diagnostics and coding compared to tools like BimmerGeeks or ISTA. Plus, the subscription model can be annoying. If you're on the fence, this detailed review really helped me weigh the pros and cons before deciding: https://yarkoweb.com/tools/carly-for-bmw-review/.
Appreciate 0