E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i Died While Running with 2E97

Today, 12:16 PM   #1
kevlarblue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, 2013 M5

335i Died While Running with 2E97

My serpentine belt exploded last week (no belt material in the engine thankfully) and I replaced it along with the tensioner and idler pulleys and cleaned all the belt fragments out of the engine compartment. During my first drive after re-assembly the engine spontaneously stopped as I was rolling into the car wash in neutral. It would not restart but cranked slowly and showed signs of a dead battery.

I was able to jump start it and read the codes with ProTool: I got a 2E97 Generator over temperature. Since then I have:

-Charged and tested the battery (showed 100% good)
-Tested the alternator voltage (14.4v)
-Tested the alternator diodes (~800 ohms)

The car will start and run fine now but I have no explanation for the sudden stall and I am hesitant to trust it. I don't know the reason for the generator over temperature code and the alternator seems to be working fine. I don't want to replace the alternator for no reason but it seems like the only fix I could provide for my peace of mind.

Is there anything I am missing? Does anybody have any insight on the cause of the 2E97 code?
Appreciate 0