E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Don't buy O34 crank seal guard

10-23-2024, 11:17 PM   #1
kevlarblue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, 2013 M5

Don't buy O34 crank seal guard

I bought this from FCP Euro and according to them it would fit my car. Well, it rubbed against the crank pulley and was destroyed leaving aluminum fragments all over the engine compartment.

Does anybody what have experience with this particular seal guard? There's really only one way to install it but could I have done something wrong? Is there more than one crank pulley design that we should be aware of when installing these?

I have a 2009 335i with what I believe is the stock crank and pulley.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:12 AM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Never heard of that one.

I used a super generic brand sold on AliExpress and Amazon and had zero issues with fitment or rubbing.
Appreciate 2
oVeRdOsE.3527.50
      Today, 12:25 PM   #3
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Wow....how long did you run that thing before you shut the motor off?

I put one of the cheap china/ebay ones on my engine...it rubbed a little bit. I finally just took it off. I think it's kind of 50/50 if they run a little bit, or clear everything. Looks like that 034 one in the original post had all kinds of clearance issues......didn't you hear that thing making all kinds of noise as soon as your turned the engine over?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:50 PM   #4
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Wow....how long did you run that thing before you shut the motor off?

I put one of the cheap china/ebay ones on my engine...it rubbed a little bit. I finally just took it off. I think it's kind of 50/50 if they run a little bit, or clear everything. Looks like that 034 one in the original post had all kinds of clearance issues......didn't you hear that thing making all kinds of noise as soon as your turned the engine over?
yes, I also wonder if OP heard any noises, that must've made a noticeable sound.
I also have 034 crank seal guard on my n55 335i, I haven't had it for too long, though, maybe a month and less than 500 miles. OP, how long did it take for it to get destroyed in your case?
034 does have a checkered quality record in the VW/Audi world where they came from, but it also could be an install error, or rather, incomplete instructions. I had to make sure that the guard was pressed firmly and flush against the crankcase when tightening the bolts, otherwise it would def rub later.
      Today, 02:11 PM   #5
oVeRdOsE.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Never heard of that one.

I used a super generic brand sold on AliExpress and Amazon and had zero issues with fitment or rubbing.
Same, and I can confirm that one worked well, kept my stupid belt out.

In fact I was so confident with this guard, I drove the car back with the shredded belt. It was 15 or 20$ cad.
Appreciate 0