E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54, BMS Chargepipe and Tial BOV issues... no boost, loud engine

09-18-2024, 12:20 PM   #1
n54335i02121997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, Acura RSX type S

N54, BMS Chargepipe and Tial BOV issues... no boost, loud engine

At this point, it seems like this issue is wastegates. How it just so happened to occur immediately after putting on a new charge pipe (happened directly at startup), I have NO idea.

Followed this guide

Received my BMS CP/BOV yesterday. I'm pushing 243k on my stock chargepipe... with a tune... figured I'd just bit the bullet and drop $400 for peace of mind.

So, chargepipe seems simple enough. Got the old one out in 20 minutes, built this one outside of the car, and installed it.

Double checked I had the O ring for the BOV flange positioned correctly, Ensured I set the O ring for the charge pipe/TB in it's groove, even reseated it again. Goes right in and the C clamp clicks into place.

The elbow I have positioned right, and tightened down.

But here's the thing... my car seems WAY louder than it was. Like.. almost obnoxiously loud, and I have catless DP's and a muffler delete. Super crackly when it burbles (not the MHD burbles), and there is no boost.

No codes, car drives and idles fine, but no boost at all.

I tried revving out at idle and recorded it with my camera, the BOV remains closed.

As far as vacuum line goes, I know the manifold needs to be tapped, but I figure even if I had to temporarily use an adaptor that the BOV should still function, or at least let me hit boost.

I also ensured that the holes on the bolt at the top of the BOV line up with the vacuum line as well.

I've read online that the TIAL's can stick when they sit for a while, so on my next break at work I am going to disassemble it and see if that's the case.

Super frustrated, I have a road trip to make tomorrow so will probably put the OEM charge pipe back on if I can't get this figured out. Any thoughts? I can upload pictures if necessary.

At some point I might just send it back if I can't figure it out within the next 28 days . After further research, it seems like TIAL's are just super finnicky, and unfortunately did not know the manifold needed to be tapped until I received it yesterday. Guess I should have done some more research. Either way, I can tap it, just won't be within the next few days lol.

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by n54335i02121997; 09-19-2024 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2024, 10:20 PM   #2
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Intake manifold tapping is not necessary for the Tial BOV to function properly. I have 2 modified N54's and both function exceptionally using the factory intake nipple. I really wrestled with the install of that BMS Chargepipe however due to it's extremely tight tolerances, the ARM version was a much easier fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 03:35 AM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I too had a bad experience with fitment of the BMS "Elite" charge pipe, absolutely couldn't get it connected to the throttle body because it wasn't shaped properly and was interfering with the strut tower. I removed the throttle body and got the charge pipe to click into it, but when I bolted it back in the charge pipe was pinching the power steering lines badly up against the strut tower. Returned it and got a plain old VRSF CP which fit perfectly.

Sounds like a bad boost leak. Or a BOV stuck open but that's isn't likely. Check all the other connections, maybe one of the hoses on the intercooler popped off coincidentally at the same time.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2024, 08:00 AM   #4
n54335i02121997
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I too had a bad experience with fitment of the BMS "Elite" charge pipe, absolutely couldn't get it connected to the throttle body because it wasn't shaped properly and was interfering with the strut tower. I removed the throttle body and got the charge pipe to click into it, but when I bolted it back in the charge pipe was pinching the power steering lines badly up against the strut tower. Returned it and got a plain old VRSF CP which fit perfectly.

Sounds like a bad boost leak. Or a BOV stuck open but that's isn't likely. Check all the other connections, maybe one of the hoses on the intercooler popped off coincidentally at the same time.
Doing further research, it seems like it's a stuck open wastegate.

How it just so happened to occur the exact same startup as when I put on my BMS chargepipe, I don't know... but I did have an issue with a stuck wastegate 4 years ago which was unstuck quite easily.

Did some brief research.... the lack of boost, the much louder and super crackly exhaust, that pretty much confirms it.

I put the stock CP back on, same thing.

I did a full rewrite in MHD last night and then went to bed... not getting my hopes up but maybe that "hard reset" fixed it. Either that, or I'll just hope it's the rear WG and I can fiddle with it for a bit and see if I can gain operation back.

Man... it's been a super long time since this car has given me any trouble. No CEL's yet though.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 08:22 AM   #5
n54335i02121997
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
Intake manifold tapping is not necessary for the Tial BOV to function properly. I have 2 modified N54's and both function exceptionally using the factory intake nipple. I really wrestled with the install of that BMS Chargepipe however due to it's extremely tight tolerances, the ARM version was a much easier fit.
Thanks for the response. I figured that my set up would in no way cause issues as odd as this, and thank you for confirming that for me.

I put the stock CP back on and still seemed to do the same thing. I'm beginning to think it might be a stuck open wastegate... which, lemme tell ya this. I drove the car back home after a weekend trip, perfectly fine, then the next day threw the charge pipe on and this issue arose after I started it up. Seems super weird.

Did a full rewrite on MHD last night and went to bed... doubt that will fix anything but maybe she just needed a hard reset. If not, I'm going to take a look at my wastegates and see if they need some persuasion.

No codes at all. Car has actually been extremely good to me for the past 50-60k miles.

I found a really good independent shop in my area. It's about 30 minutes away since I moved, but I might just keep the rpms low and drive it over there if I can't seem to figure anything out. Small shop, great rates, owners are super nice, and they do good work.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 10:44 AM   #6
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

After running with the stock intake manifold nipple/connection for years I went with the following which I found at a much better price on Aliexpress out of China which is likely where ARM are accessing the one they sell.

https://armmotorsports.com/products/...m-line-upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2024, 03:40 PM   #7
n54335i02121997
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
After running with the stock intake manifold nipple/connection for years I went with the following which I found at a much better price on Aliexpress out of China which is likely where ARM are accessing the one they sell.

https://armmotorsports.com/products/...m-line-upgrade
So... I went back to the stock charge pipe and the issues remain. The only thing that changed my car from running perfectly to now like this, is the removal and installation of the stock charge pipe.

It has to be something simple. It sounds like the waste gates are wide open. Exhaust crackly, loud, sounds really shitty when you get on the gas.

Frustrating stuff.

I've overlooked that area twice now and have not seen anything out of place.

Guess I'll keep checking.

Can't wait to find that "oh wow, I'm a dumbass" moment and fix it.

Guess I'll try to take it off and put it back on again.

Last edited by n54335i02121997; 09-19-2024 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:27 PM   #8
n54335i02121997
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey dude, found out I'm a fucking retard. I pulled a vac line under the engine cover accidentally.

Got boost back, just need to tap manifold and should be good to go!
Appreciate 0