E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > zero oil pressure

Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #1
shawn.yoder01
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i (e90/n54)

zero oil pressure

literally have tried everything at this point. minus dropping the subframe and pulling the oil pan to check the oil pickup. (not something i want to have to do)
red low oil pressure light. replaced both vanos, both cam sensors, and the crankshaft sensor. replaced the filter and cap, replaced the oil pressure sensor, and changed the oil (no metal in it). put a mechanical gauge on it and its reading zero at cold start idle. after i changed the oil, started it up and checked the oil filter, it was getting oil to the filter housing. so the pressure gauge should be reading some pressure no?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #2
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn.yoder01 View Post
literally have tried everything at this point. minus dropping the subframe and pulling the oil pan to check the oil pickup. (not something i want to have to do)
red low oil pressure light. replaced both vanos, both cam sensors, and the crankshaft sensor. replaced the filter and cap, replaced the oil pressure sensor, and changed the oil (no metal in it). put a mechanical gauge on it and its reading zero at cold start idle. after i changed the oil, started it up and checked the oil filter, it was getting oil to the filter housing. so the pressure gauge should be reading some pressure no?
If a mechanical gauge says 0 psi, your screwed. (As long as you are connecting it correctly)
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #3
shawn.yoder01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoch View Post
If a mechanical gauge says 0 psi, your screwed. (As long as you are connecting it correctly)
screwed how? also how would i be connecting it incorrectly?

respectfully,
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:48 PM   #4
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
screwed how? also how would i be connecting it incorrectly?

respectfully,
Did you connect a mechanical oil pressure gause directly to the hole where the oil pressure sensor is, or did you electrically connect a gauge to the existing pressure sensor?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:41 PM   #5
shawn.yoder01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoch View Post
Did you connect a mechanical oil pressure gause directly to the hole where the oil pressure sensor is, or did you electrically connect a gauge to the existing pressure sensor?

pulled the sensor out and connected a mechanical gauge directly to the hole.

but i found out why i wasnt getting any pressure. valve cover gasket was leaking on the back side where i couldnt see.

gonna swap it and see what happens lol.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:45 PM   #6
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
pulled the sensor out and connected a mechanical gauge directly to the hole.

but i found out why i wasnt getting any pressure. valve cover gasket was leaking on the back side where i couldnt see.

gonna swap it and see what happens lol.

thanks
Valve cover gasket has 0, nothing, nada, zilch to do with oil pressure. Your oil pump is not moving oil. Very large problems a happening inside your engine. Chances are that the serpentine belt got ingested into the front seal. Then got chewed up by the the timing chain. Those little bits a clogging up your oil pick tube, now starving your engine of oil.

Last edited by Brandoch; Today at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0