E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Radio/speakers cutting out

09-26-2024, 05:35 AM   #1
JWT4700
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Xdrive sedan

Radio/speakers cutting out

Hey guys, I just purchased another E90 a week ago, almost identical to my current one 2009 328i xdrive. It has a few less options…no lumbar support, no auto dining side/rear view mirrors, no heated wheel…but what it does have…is a 6-speed!
Drove 7 hours to go pick it up. No issues on the 431 mile trip back other than finding out that the rear window regulator was broken lol. I do remember when we made a pit stop that the gong was quiet for the first couple chimes, then got noticeably louder at the same time I opened the door. I was a bit confused but in my other car I coded out the gong a couple years ago so didn’t really think much of it and that’s just what it did.

So I found my first problem yesterday. On my way home from work the speakers started cutting out. It started with 1 speaker having a little static, then they would all just cut out. It’s cutting out off and on constantly. Also hearing static in them at times as well. Another thing I noticed is after you shut the engine off(ignition still on) is you can hear a slight static in the speakers even when the head unit is off. Sounds like a light tapping static sound. I removed the key, opened and closed the door (as if I got out but remained inside) and hit the lock button on the key fob. The static tapping noise remained even after the car was locked for about 15 seconds, I believe until the car went to “sleep”.

I did some searching and found a bunch on the amp being a likely culprit. I don’t know much about the audio system or everything that is part of that group. Hoping someone can give me some instruction on how to diagnose and find out what is going on here. It’s a base model so it has the professional cd player. If I recall correctly, it’s pretty quick and easy to remove the amp, and since I have an identical e90 sitting in the driveway, I may swap the amps and see if I can get lucky enough to have that be the issue. Again, not too familiar with the audio stuff so I don’t really know how to go about this. Any help is much appreciated!!
      Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #2
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Well…. This was an easy diagnosis.
When we test drove the car I pulled the tray over top the battery to make sure there were no water leaks in the battery compartment as well as the other side. Clean and dry. The dealer only had the car about a week or two before we bought it. I believe it was garage kept (previous owner had it since 2012, in the third owner). The week before we bought it was all nice weather and about 3 days after we brought it home we have had rain.

I have determined the amp was in fact the issue. It was hanging out taking a bath in about a half inch of water. Got a used amp from the local junk yard and all is good now. I found someone must have replace the tail/brake light and did a shoddy job. The top tail light nut was not even touching, the other two were only finger right. There was also a small piece of the tail light trim stuck behind the gasket. All good now. Will be retrofitting Sirius while having all these panels out. Public service announcement to check your tail light nuts lol.

Nothing was rusty either, even the inside of the amp and the nuts/bolt that were submerged. I do believe this JUST happened, furthering my suspicions of this being previously garage kept
Attached Images

Today, 11:56 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Best to check both sides of the rear for leaks .
Usually the Sunroof drains are the problem to.

Mdecoder.com will tell you what your car came with if you don't know
Appreciate 1
JWT470025.50
      Today, 11:59 AM   #4
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Best to check both sides of the rear for leaks .
Usually the Sunroof drains are the problem to.
Will do. I thought the sun roof drain ran down the c pillar and water would end up in the back seat rather than the trunk.
      Today, 01:00 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Water Drains
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...hlight=battery
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818373
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566005
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680103

Exit drains are usually what gets clogged.

And those are generally behind the rear passenger door and rear fender and may be covered up by plastic paneling .
The water should have drained even if there was a leak if those weren't clogged is the point.

Last edited by ctuna; Today at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0