E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > key fob

Today, 01:55 AM   #1
EwenMac
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e92

key fob

ok so new to all this, and after googling etc, came to the conclusion i would get a new key fob.

i only had one and it would allow the car to start and run but the lock/unlock functions did not work, i had to use the key manually.

so searched as i said and there were posts that claimed that likely the battery was dead ( solder in variety) and that the case could be carefully cut open the battery replaced glued back together and good to go.

well let me say that is utter horse droppings, that thing is put together seriously

i ended up using my bench grinder to carefully remove material till i could crack it open, and that meant the case was destroyed.

thankfully i had purchased a replacement case, so checked the circuit board would fit then thought maybe i should check the battery before getting a replacement, and amazing the battery is ok 3.0volts. so i put it back together using the new eBay case

so i guess its something else, the circuit board would store car settings but the lock/unlock function is dead, so that fob is relegated to the bottom draw,

i got a mobile guy to come out and set up a new fob/cut a new key and so my new fob is my daily, and it works perfectly and also now has the little trap door allowing for future battery replacements.

my advise DONT muck about with a non functioning fob, just get a new one

everything i do to this car makes me so glad i took the punt on this project
Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:33 AM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
I don't know if they'll ship to Oz EwenMac, but here is the best option I've seen for getting a replacement key fob: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=4
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:18 PM   #3
Mike K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Or this which worked great for me:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15544752264...mis&media=COPY
Appreciate 0