home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Wheels / Tires

05-14-2024, 03:48 PM   #1
OGPedro
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i X-Drive

Performance Tires in the Cold?

I’m taking my possession of my M240i X-Drive next week, and I just noticed I accidentally ordered the performance tires instead of the all-season tires.

I live in New Jersey and travel to Massachusetts a lot. How screwed am I?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 04:48 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Not at all.
Do the sensible thing of buying a set of winters for when the temperature drops.
Far better solution than having a jack of all trades.
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00
      05-14-2024, 04:50 PM   #3
Littlecoupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Generally speaking if you're exclusively on dry pavement, the braking and cornering potential of the HP tires is going to be a fair bit less than ideal warmer conditions, but not undrivable. I drove a RWD 460HP Mustang year round and often subjected the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires to zero or slightly be low zero temps, celcius (say about 30F to 40F). It was completely drivable, but I could very easily get the rear tires spinning off the light with very little effort. I could tell the grip was much less, but still drivable outside of emergency maneuvers and panic braking.

If you end up with more than a skiff of snow, or worse - ice - you're in for a bad time. Grip is tremendously low in adverse weather on an HP tire, and borderline undrivable in some conditions.

I would suggest a second set of tires, either all season/weather, or winter tires to be sure you won't have issues.

I drove on HP tires on two of my vehicles in a proper snowfall or winter condition, and both times, they were treacherous. I was driving no more than 60% of the speed limit and the ability to control the car was tremendously compromised. Don't risk it.
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00
      05-14-2024, 05:19 PM   #4
OGPedro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Do the sensible thing of buying a set of winters for when the temperature drops.
Far better solution than having a jack of all trades.
Ah, but I live in an apartment and have nowhere to store a benched set of tires. A storage unit would work, but in 6 months of paying for a unit it would end up being cheaper just to buy the jack of all trades, so that may end up being what I have to do. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 08:40 AM   #5
Ruebarb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i

You need winter tires, no way around it. I ordered with performance go flats and bought a 2nd set of tires for the winter. I have heard of some tire shops that offer storage. Once you go below freezing besides loss of traction, the compound can crack and damage.
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00
      05-15-2024, 09:32 AM   #6
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
What Ruebarb said. I have a local shop that stores my summer tires that I swap with my all-seasons (no need for winter tires in MD) at a very reasonable cost. I also live in a 1-bedroom condo, so I feel ya.
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00
      05-15-2024, 03:26 PM   #7
OGPedro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
I have a local shop that stores my summer tires that I swap with my all-seasons (no need for winter tires in MD) at a very reasonable cost. I also live in a 1-bedroom condo, so I feel ya.
I appreciate the consideration lol. Would you kind telling me who stores them and how much you pay?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 04:48 PM   #8
viperx100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGPedro View Post
I appreciate the consideration lol. Would you kind telling me who stores them and how much you pay?
I mean, I am in MD so I am not sure my shop would make sense to you seeing how you are in Jeysey but I use S2 Dynamics. It's honestly so little to have them store my other tires, I can't even remember the fee but I think it may be something like $20 a year and I rotate my summer and all-seasons, so they always hold a set for me.
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00
      05-15-2024, 05:18 PM   #9
OGPedro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
I mean, I am in MD so I am not sure my shop would make sense to you seeing how you are in Jeysey but I use S2 Dynamics. It's honestly so little to have them store my other tires, I can't even remember the fee but I think it may be something like $20 a year and I rotate my summer and all-seasons, so they always hold a set for me.
Oh that’s tremendous. Of course MD doesn’t work for me, but I was hoping it was a chain of some kind. But $20 to hold onto the tires is a hell of a deal. I’ll start calling around up here. Thanks soo much for your help!
Appreciate 1
viperx100639.50
      05-16-2024, 06:54 AM   #10
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

The pilot super sports on my vette felt way slicker in the winter than my ps4s. Winter here is like 30 to 40 though. If the roads are clear you will be good, tires will just feel like rocks for a bit when you get going but once they get some heat in them it feels much better. If you aren't tracking the car and it's more a daily driver check out some michilein all seasons they are surprisingly good all around tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 08:00 AM   #11
AlexC2er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGPedro View Post
I’m taking my possession of my M240i X-Drive next week, and I just noticed I accidentally ordered the performance tires instead of the all-season tires.

I live in New Jersey and travel to Massachusetts a lot. How screwed am I?
Well right now the temp is pretty warm up in in MA. So you got a while before you have to worry about this. But I recommend get another set of wheels and winter tires for the winter so you could just switch over yourself whenever you want. You really don’t want all season after buying a decent handling nearly 400hp rwd car. All seasons greatly reduces the driving experience.
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00
      05-17-2024, 08:47 AM   #12
OGPedro
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
You really don’t want all season after buying a decent handling nearly 400hp rwd car. All seasons greatly reduces the driving experience.
If this thread has taught me anything, it’s that the cost to buy all-season tires and store/swap them every winter/spring is probably well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 05:32 PM   #13
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I took delivery of my car in January and had to drive on the performance tires in cold weather for a couple weeks in MA. Mind you it was during break-in period so I was taking it easy anyway. But I didn’t have problems.

But like everyone’s saying get a winter set. I’ve done this with my last 4 cars. It’s just so much better to have total control of when you switch and you just need a jack and some tools. Then you have the best tires for warm weather and the best for cold/snow. I’ve also heard of places that’ll store them for you, so it’s not super rare.
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00
      05-22-2024, 10:26 AM   #14
AlexC2er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I took delivery of my car in January and had to drive on the performance tires in cold weather for a couple weeks in MA. Mind you it was during break-in period so I was taking it easy anyway. But I didn’t have problems.

But like everyone’s saying get a winter set. I’ve done this with my last 4 cars. It’s just so much better to have total control of when you switch and you just need a jack and some tools. Then you have the best tires for warm weather and the best for cold/snow. I’ve also heard of places that’ll store them for you, so it’s not super rare.
I also took delivery in ma with ps4s. But I asked them to switch to the winter tires I dropped off before taking delivery (free of charge ofc). Definitely felt better, didn’t want to risk cracking at 30F. The car fit 4 tires quite easily in the back seat
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 04:38 PM   #15
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
I also took delivery in ma with ps4s. But I asked them to switch to the winter tires I dropped off before taking delivery (free of charge ofc). Definitely felt better, didn’t want to risk cracking at 30F. The car fit 4 tires quite easily in the back seat
There you go OGPedro…no need to store your alternate set…just leave em in the backseat!
Appreciate 1
OGPedro21.00