F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > USB Map update problems (MINI)
Studio RSR

05-14-2024, 02:52 PM   #1
JimmyJab340
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring

USB Map update problems (MINI)

Figuring it's going to be the same as BMW, has anyone successfully done map update via USB, using a Mac?
I've downloaded the update Map files and copied to USB root folder, but the MINI seems to be refusing to read anything on both the pen drive and portable hard drive I've tried.
I've formatted to FAT, FAT32, ExFAT and just no luck.

I understand that Macs create hidden files on the USB drives which I've found and can delete, all except one - .Trashes I wonder if this being on the USB drive is causing issues?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 03:10 PM   #2
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Did you use the download manager to extract the file to the USB drive?

Edit, it appears you can just extra the files using archive utility on macs.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 03:59 PM   #3
gac
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335d

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJab340 View Post
Figuring it's going to be the same as BMW, has anyone successfully done map update via USB, using a Mac?
I've downloaded the update Map files and copied to USB root folder, but the MINI seems to be refusing to read anything on both the pen drive and portable hard drive I've tried.
I've formatted to FAT, FAT32, ExFAT and just no luck.

I understand that Macs create hidden files on the USB drives which I've found and can delete, all except one - .Trashes I wonder if this being on the USB drive is causing issues?

Thanks!
I've seen the same thing on my F31 - my current theory is that I think the Disk Utility on Mac will create a drive with a GPT partition table by default, and the BMW can only read an MBR partition table. If you're able to wipe all the data off the storage device then try formatting it with MBR (Master Boot Record)

I tried doing map upgrades from two different physical devices; a USB-C "thumb" drive (i.e. cheap flash memory) and an NVMe SSD in a USB-C caddy (i.e. "proper" memory) and they both had the same issue until I formatted them in a Windows computer.

When the next version of maps comes out I intend to do some more thorough testing and figure it out because it's annoying me, but the last time I accidentally put the wrong maps on so I was more focused on making it actually usable.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 02:07 AM   #4
JimmyJab340
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot. Couldn’t see the option of creating a Master Boot Record when formatting the stick/drive - I’m pretty sure it used to be there on older OS, just underneath the drop-down for formatting type.
Will have to investigate further - either that, or suffer the pain of working out how to use Windows!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 02:24 AM   #5
gac
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks a lot. Couldn’t see the option of creating a Master Boot Record when formatting the stick/drive - I’m pretty sure it used to be there on older OS, just underneath the drop-down for formatting type.
Will have to investigate further - either that, or suffer the pain of working out how to use Windows!
I still have it on my MacBook running the latest OS from yesterday. You need to do an Erase on the drive rather than Partition, which should rewrite the partition table with your choice of table type
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:13 AM   #6
JimmyJab340
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gac View Post
I still have it on my MacBook running the latest OS from yesterday. You need to do an Erase on the drive rather than Partition, which should rewrite the partition table with your choice of table type
Thanks - I did use Erase, but the Master Boot Record option wasn’t there, just the format type (of which FAT32 was grey and unselectable on our MacBook Pro) - tried MBP running Catalina and iMac running Sonoma.

Will have another play around tonight
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:21 AM   #7
gac
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks - I did use Erase, but the Master Boot Record option wasn’t there, just the format type (of which FAT32 was grey and unselectable on our MacBook Pro) - tried MBP running Catalina and iMac running Sonoma.

Will have another play around tonight
Ah, I see - I think you might be doing the Erase on a specific partition, not the entire block device. I'm not sure how to post images on this particular forum so no screenshot, but when you have Disk Utility open and you can see the "tree" of devices, you need to do the Erase on the top-level device. If you do it on one of the nested items, you're only erasing an existing partition, not recreating the partition table with a new partition, which is why you can't change the partition table type. If you do it on the top-level item representing your USB device then you should get the full set of options including the partition scheme.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 03:33 AM   #8
dogballs
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435d Xdrive

Garage List
2018 Honda CRF1000  [0.00]
  [0.00]
You can create a usb drive and do the update with a Mac.

Format the usb drive: erase and format it to MS-DOS/fat32

Extract and copy the map files as per the instructions to the root directory.

To erase the hidden files: press 'Command' + 'Shift' + '.' (the period key) at the same time. - this will now show the hidden files as greyed.

You can now delete the hidden files.

Next step: DO NOT “eject” the drive, just pull it out. - ignore warning on your Mac.

Insert into the cars USB with the engine running or a battery/ power supply.

That should do it. - I’ve done plenty with this method.

Note: some USB drives just won’t be accepted. - who knows why?
Appreciate 1
danb19792006.00
      05-15-2024, 04:19 AM   #9
JimmyJab340
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogballs View Post
You can create a usb drive and do the update with a Mac.

Format the usb drive: erase and format it to MS-DOS/fat32

Extract and copy the map files as per the instructions to the root directory.

To erase the hidden files: press 'Command' + 'Shift' + '.' (the period key) at the same time. - this will now show the hidden files as greyed.

You can now delete the hidden files.

Next step: DO NOT “eject” the drive, just pull it out. - ignore warning on your Mac.

Insert into the cars USB with the engine running or a battery/ power supply.

That should do it. - I’ve done plenty with this method.

Note: some USB drives just won’t be accepted. - who knows why?

Thanks - have done all is that except not ejecting the drive - will as they to my list of further things to try
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 06:00 AM   #10
JimmyJab340
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I see - I think you might be doing the Erase on a specific partition, not the entire block device. I'm not sure how to post images on this particular forum so no screenshot, but when you have Disk Utility open and you can see the "tree" of devices, you need to do the Erase on the top-level device. If you do it on one of the nested items, you're only erasing an existing partition, not recreating the partition table with a new partition, which is why you can't change the partition table type. If you do it on the top-level item representing your USB device then you should get the full set of options including the partition scheme.
Thanks - Will have another look, but the only items to select in the left hand column were the MacBook/iMac hard drive and then the USB device, no tree of files below either of those.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 06:02 AM   #11
gac
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks - Will have another look, but the only items to select in the left hand column were the MacBook/iMac hard drive and then the USB device, no tree of files below either of those.
Ohh, another thing to check because don't know what the default is - on the View menu select "All Devices". If you have "Volumes Only" then that is likely why you have no tree, and that's likely why you can't wipe the entire drive and put a new MBR table on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 11:15 AM   #12
JimmyJab340
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ohh, another thing to check because don't know what the default is - on the View menu select "All Devices". If you have "Volumes Only" then that is likely why you have no tree, and that's likely why you can't wipe the entire drive and put a new MBR table on it.
Ah - yes, didn’t realise they’d added that “all devices” - thanks a lot!!

Turns out the drives were already formatted as Master Boot.

Borrowed a windows computer and a different usb stick. Copied files onto new stick, put into windows computer and deleted the “spotlight” and “trashes” hidden folders just fine, plus there were 0kb duplicates of the main 4 files, which didn’t show up when viewing hidden files on Mac. Deleted these too.

Car recognised immediately!

What a faff - the things we do to avoid paying BMW/MINI £47 + vat for the maps USB and a further £66 + vat for the FSC 😳
Appreciate 1
gac54.00