home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

04-04-2024, 01:22 PM   #1
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

Clutch pedal clicking/creaking on release

When I release the clutch pedal, somewhere near the top of release, there is an audible clicking/creaking sound.

I've found various threads in other forums of similar issues, but wondering if anyone has experienced this with the G87 yet?

Those threads targeted the clutch master cylinder and sometimes the spring as the culprit.

I'm going to have the dealer look at it during break-in maintenance. I'll update the thread with more info as I get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:47 PM   #2
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
When I release the clutch pedal, somewhere near the top of release, there is an audible clicking/creaking sound.

I've found various threads in other forums of similar issues, but wondering if anyone has experienced this with the G87 yet?

Those threads targeted the clutch master cylinder and sometimes the spring as the culprit.

I'm going to have the dealer look at it during break-in maintenance. I'll update the thread with more info as I get it.
Have not experienced this in either of my G87’s. Seems like a possible spring issue (small fix hopefully).

How many miles do you have on the car? The clutch fully breaks in around 300-500 miles after being soft on it for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:56 PM   #3
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geighty7 View Post
Have not experienced this in either of my G87’s. Seems like a possible spring issue (small fix hopefully).

How many miles do you have on the car? The clutch fully breaks in around 300-500 miles after being soft on it for a bit.
~900 miles currently.

It seems to be getting worse over time.
Appreciate 1
Geighty71653.50
      04-04-2024, 01:57 PM   #4
Geighty7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
~900 miles currently.

It seems to be getting worse over time.
Worth getting checked out asap. Sounds like you may have a bad spring.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 08:20 AM   #5
baj_baj
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I had an issue on my F56 Cooper S, creaked like an old barn door. They tried lubricating everything, then changed the spring, in the end they changed the whole clutch assembly. The issue would occur just in hot weather, probably a tolerance issue where something would expand and creak.

The problem I have on the M2 is in cold weather, while the car is also cold. There is a catching feeling as if the pedal is catching the carpet. It goes away after 5-10min driving
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 10:08 PM   #6
sclui56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E86, IS-F, G42, G87

OP, while I haven't come across this on my G87, I had a similar experience with my 2018 F87 @ ~5k. I can feel the click on up-stroke near the top, not on every release and didn't seem to have much of a pattern, almost felt like a sleeved spring catching some imperfection.

This drove me nuts and the tech of course came back with "cannot replicate", though the foreman took another look, he drove around but couldn't replicate either. Then when I picked up the car, he drove it once more for about 2 miles in traffic and he detected multiple instances.

Below is the parts list of what was done to fix that line item, maybe some parts were not affected, but I haven't come across the problem up to the time when I sold the F. Ignore the last 2 parts, not sure why they were lumped into there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2024, 10:27 PM   #7
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclui56 View Post
OP, while I haven't come across this on my G87, I had a similar experience with my 2018 F87 @ ~5k. I can feel the click on up-stroke near the top, not on every release and didn't seem to have much of a pattern, almost felt like a sleeved spring catching some imperfection.

This drove me nuts and the tech of course came back with "cannot replicate", though the foreman took another look, he drove around but couldn't replicate either. Then when I picked up the car, he drove it once more for about 2 miles in traffic and he detected multiple instances.

Below is the parts list of what was done to fix that line item, maybe some parts were not affected, but I haven't come across the problem up to the time when I sold the F. Ignore the last 2 parts, not sure why they were lumped into there.
Thanks, that is super helpful.

Mine is very easy to replicate at the moment, so hopefully I don't need to go through the run-around.
Appreciate 0