E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rough idle, jerk when turning off ignition on 328i xDrive

Today, 11:21 AM   #1
ltbarber
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Rough idle, jerk when turning off ignition on 328i xDrive

I'm at a loss on what might be going on with my 328xi. Over the past couple of months, when I would make a sharp turn into my driveway the engine would start to bog down and run rough, even after centering the steering wheel and putting the transmission into park/neutral. When I turned the ignition off, the engine would stop with a dramatic clunk that felt like the car was jerking forward. I did notice yesterday when I was trying to induce the issue that the front wheels definitely slip at high steering angles/low speed as well. No transmission/transfer case codes are currently present.

Other than this scenario, the car runs and drives fine at the moment. I've done a bunch of work to the car over the past few months so I'm not sure if this is related to something I did or just a brand new issue. I haven't been able to come up with a failure that would cause this symptom pattern, especially given that it continues with the transmission in neutral. The car doesn't creep forward when in neutral so that makes me think the wheels are properly disconnected from the engine.

Stuff that's been done to the car recently-
-Transfer case fluid change and new actuator motor - the part from Amazon, entirely possible it's bad but I don't know why it would cause these symptoms.
-New water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses- only reason I mention this is because it involved moving the power steering lines out of the way for access

The car has ~103,000 miles on it so it's a little overdue for a transmission service, I plan to do the front diff fluid at the same time, but again I don't know why something diff/transmission related would cause the engine to bog down in neutral.

Any ideas here?
Appreciate 0