E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No DME communication

10-22-2024, 04:03 PM   #1
bdog1288
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

No DME communication

Hello! - Any help is very much appreciated.

Background: I purchased a 2011 BMW 328i xDrive at an insurance auction with very minimal damage but in non running condition hoping that I could resurrect it. The only thing shown was that the car did not detect the key fob so it could not be started.

More info: I ended up trying to connect an Autel KM100 to the car in hopes to program a new fob but it failed to do so because it could not connect to the DME. It was able to connect to other modules fine such as CAS and did not indicate other issues. I installed ISTA+ and successfully connected to the car and it also indicated a communication issue with the DME.

Things I have done:
1. I sent the DME out to a company and they confirmed that it was in working order and that they could communicate with it.
2. Pulled and checked various fuses and have not seen a bad one.
3. Bought a new battery because old one was bad with very low voltage (before DME sent out)
4. Verified voltage was consistent from battery to F50 fuse and the single 40amp fuse in the DME box that my car has.

My understanding is that there should be two things present to get communication with the DME, power and a PT-CAN signal.

My questions:

Could anyone give me general info or ideas on what it could be?

Could anyone give me a list of specific fuses to check voltages for?

Could anyone give me specific pins to check for power in the 2 DME main
connectors?

Disclaimer: I apologize if this is in a confusing layout or order and also wanted to mention I am very much a novice in the understanding of this car's electrical system.

I have wiring diagrams pulled up for the DME in ISTA but am having trouble understanding exactly which pins to check on the main connectors.

As a reminder the car currently does not detect it's key and so I cannot get it to power up past the slashed out key on the cluster.

I will attach pictures of my ISTA readings and codes.

Thank you again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0