E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Laser Jammer worth buying on LI?

01-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #45
LostMarine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lying Vendors Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLI View Post
Did some research:

First, as a certified radar operator, part of the training includes a practical exercise on estimating speeds of vehicles. This is conducted in both the moving and stationary mode. I require my students to be able to estimate vehicle speed to within 2 mph of the actual speed of the vehicle. They do this 20 times each for moving and stationary. I average all the results. The officer can then testify to to a vehicles speed due to his/her estimation. ***I do not need a speed measuring device to write you a ticket. My observation of your speed is my reason for the stop. The radar/lidar/pace are only tools to verify my observation.***

All radar certification courses are identical or closely based upon the NHTSA course. It has been recognized in every state in the US as being sufficient to use radar/lidar.

Guys not saying it will hold up in court but if you search online there are numerous people that have been given tickets and have been found guilty based on visual estimates. Just want to give you the heads up if you still dont believe it that is fine.
exactly, if it won't hold up its just a waste of time. Cops use that to pull someone over to get them stopped to search for other violations. resulting in more fines/arrests.

Its a numbers game, everyone realizes its impossible to consistantly judge speed accuratley by human eye alone. so they know it won't hold up. however, its 50/50 that people will fight it. those that don't care for their rights will just pay, and thats what the state wants. MORE $$$$

think about it, if everyone actually followed traffic laws, noone would be pulled over, no tickets, noone arrested for warrants, no suspicion to search cars and find drugs/weapons. the state budget would crumble..

can they write the ticket, sure, will it hold up, NO
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #46
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
exactly, if it won't hold up its just a waste of time. Cops use that to pull someone over to get them stopped to search for other violations. resulting in more fines/arrests.

Its a numbers game, everyone realizes its impossible to consistantly judge speed accuratley by human eye alone. so they know it won't hold up. however, its 50/50 that people will fight it. those that don't care for their rights will just pay, and thats what the state wants. MORE $$$$

think about it, if everyone actually followed traffic laws, noone would be pulled over, no tickets, noone arrested for warrants, no suspicion to search cars and find drugs/weapons. the state budget would crumble..

can they write the ticket, sure, will it hold up, NO
damn, too true. i could go on and on about the flaws and loopholes in the system but its not worth it. if you don't fight a ticket, the cop wins and thats what they want, for you to give in without questioning their authority. if your that dumb, than you deserve the ticket.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #47
Andrew9931
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMarine View Post
nope.. the human eye cannot be calibrated. they cannot "estimate" your speed..thats BS
A cop I know personally is trained for visual speed estimation and uses it. I even tested him out while he was sitting in my car and he was able to come up with other cars speeds on the road without looking at my speedo. It wasn't exact but very close give or take 5 mph. If your doing 90 in a 50, I think at the very least he can say you were going at least 80. If you don't believe me, fly past a highway cop while he is not doing radar. If he doesn't visually estimate you he can at least write you for imprudent speed. Your from NJ, I am sure its similar but this is for NYPD since the OP said Long Island.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #48
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

it will work 99.9 percent of the time. just worry about if it will hold up in court. because visual speed estimations never will.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #49
ZTZ1010
Aficionado of All Things Vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC View Post
it will work 99.9 percent of the time. just worry about if it will hold up in court. because visual speed estimations never will.
+1.

gotten 2 tickets dismissed (one on LI on the way to garden city) because of this. visual estimation simply isn't enough, but get used to being pulled over and harassed when the police get pissed they can't get a speed off your car.

and I'd agree with the posts about the Laser Interceptor. Put one on my car and it has saved me 5-10 times this year alone..

Retired:
'18 6MT AW F30 340x Drive | '15 6MT F80 M3| '11 AW DCT E92 M3| '09 6MT AW E90 335i| 08' 6MT E92 328xi
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #50
sbux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i 06

fxxx i got ripped off. i got a speeding ticket in jerzee. i had my detector on so that dude can only cite i was going 74 in 65. but it is not worth it to take a day off and go to court to fight. i live in queens, gas and toll is a lot of $ to go there. so they ripped me off $85+2. fxxx them.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #51
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTZ1010 View Post
+1.

gotten 2 tickets dismissed (one on LI on the way to garden city) because of this. visual estimation simply isn't enough, but get used to being pulled over and harassed when the police get pissed they can't get a speed off your car.

and I'd agree with the posts about the Laser Interceptor. Put one on my car and it has saved me 5-10 times this year alone..
Awesome to hear, this is the type of info I was looking for.
Appreciate 0