E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Ticketed for driving too slow on GW Parkway

01-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
that's an assumption
you were going at the speed limit (50mph)
if he wanted to go 60mph, you were then impeding his progress.
so you can't assume that since you are going at the speed limit, that everyother car behind you can't overtake you.

if i come up behind you while you are in the left lane doing 50
and i am going 85mph, i still have right of way
Just b/c he was a police officer doesn't mean he can break the speed laws...unless he has his lights on and responding to an emergency.

Also if you were rolling up at 35 miles over the limit then you too would be breaking the law, so how would one doing the posted limit be impeding. You wouldn't have the right of way and in fact you would have a reckless driving citation which is way worse then impeding traffic.

At the end of the day, yes he shouldn't have been cruising in the passing lane, but we all know that that isn't something that would be cited for often. Anyway that is something that people around here forget as soon as they learn it. In the south on two lane highways people know how to pass then move back to the right lane.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i X-drive

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iSSA View Post
Just b/c he was a police officer doesn't mean he can break the speed laws...unless he has his lights on and responding to an emergency.

Also if you were rolling up at 35 miles over the limit then you too would be breaking the law, so how would one doing the posted limit be impeding. You wouldn't have the right of way and in fact you would have a reckless driving citation which is way worse then impeding traffic.

At the end of the day, yes he shouldn't have been cruising in the passing lane, but we all know that that isn't something that would be cited for often. Anyway that is something that people around here forget as soon as they learn it. In the south on two lane highways people know how to pass then move back to the right lane.
The issue is he should not have been in the left lane
The bigger issue is a car came up behind him ( makes no difference if it's a cop or a granda in her lincoln) he HAS to move to the right lane.
So the speed both cars are going makes no difference in the impeding part
He WAS impeding traffic
He said he was going 50 so that means he was not impeding since in order to over take him, you would need to be speeding
In this case it makes no difference.
The impeding traffic law makes no mention of the relative speed of both cars
You drive on the right, and over take on the left
Simple as that
      01-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
MrXia8
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, 328i

Quote:
The bigger issue is a car came up behind him ( makes no difference if it's a cop or a granda in her lincoln) he HAS to move to the right lane.
He WAS impeding traffic
He said he was going 50 so that means he was not impeding since in order to over take him, you would need to be speeding
Simple as that
it's pathetic how people still don't know this law. fcks up the traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #26
MrXia8
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lito View Post
But I don't think I was impeding the flow of traffic though. My speed was between 50-55mph on a 50mph zone. If my speed was between 40-45 then I deserve to be pulled over.

it doesn't matter if you were going 100mph, if you weren't passing you should have stayed in the right lane.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
335iSSA
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Quote:

Agreed

Agreed

He WAS impeding traffic
Simple as that
I disagree. Consider the spirit of the law, it doesn't explicitly state a relative speed difference because it assumes that people will follow the traffic laws. I'd bet that this law has its roots in the fact that if you are driving below the limit in the passing lane you need to yield to vehicles coming up from behind.

Perhaps Spy can chime in...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #28
powerbarsk8ter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 xi

Bmw driver pulled over for driving too slowly,lol. Time to trade it in for a Buick Mama Wagon.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #29
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Already Stated

News Flash! I can assure you, the Police Officer was fishing for drunks. That' one of the trigger signs of a DUI, driving to slow. No ticket will arrive in the mail.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
lito
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
News Flash! I can assure you, the Police Officer was fishing for drunks. That' one of the trigger signs of a DUI, driving to slow. No ticket will arrive in the mail.
10-4
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
rust99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

So many good points made by all. I feel that we may not have all the details about the stop.

Driving 3 to 4 miles with a car tailing me is a very long distance and feel like eternity especially if I thought if it was police cruiser. I would have switch lanes after 1 mile.

Why was the OP "cruising" 50-55? That's "slow" for sober drivers - usually people go 60 without traffic and 70 (and quite often 75) with traffic. The GW parkway is fun to drive & it's pretty exhilarating, sort of like our own autobahn. Has anyone noticed the ramps between the GW Parkway and Memorial Bridge are oval-shaped like a racetrack?

Getting stopped and receiving a verbal citation & having it mailed sounds strange. For a traffic citation, doesn't the driver need to sign something to acknowledge receipt of the citation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
I'd take the OP's description of the stop (and what the cop said) with a large grain of salt. The guy isn't even smart enough to know the law or get out of the way of a cop.

I don't understand you guys who automatically take any poster's word for what happened and immediately start blaming the cop.

Look at it this way - deserted GW parkway late at night. Posted speed is 50 and everybody normally goes 60 (with no traffic) or 70 (with traffic.) Here is this guy in a sports car sitting in the left lane going the speed limit. A cop pulls in behind him and stays on his tail for 3 or 4 miles and that idiot keeps puttering along at 50 and doesn't get out of the way of the cop. 4 miles is about from 123 to 495.

Who is at fault, the OP or the cop?
OP: Out of curiosity, what part of the parkway did this happen? And were you "cruising" northbound or southbound?

Was the police cruiser a marked vehicle?

Some comfort:
Park Police was profiled for its strange safety effort to pull over & criticize drivers who stop to let cyclists cross. They chided drivers and blasted "DO NOT STOP" through their loudspeakers. LOL

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...kway-crossing/
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

OP, was another car next to you on the right? If not, you guys want to tell me the park ranger (lol) couldnt pass him to the right? Child please, the donut killer was bored or his wife was cheatig on him with someone that owned a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
E Tickets

[quote]Getting stopped and receiving a verbal citation & having it mailed sounds strange. For a traffic citation, doesn't the driver need to sign something to acknowledge receipt of the citation?

Now there are E-Tickets, that the Police Office scans your license and enters the tag number, adds the charge. Then prints it out and hands you your copy, w/out your signature. But not everyone has E-Tickets yet. But still, no mailing you your ticket like with Red Light Cameras.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
rust99
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
Now there are E-Tickets, that the Police Office scans your license and enters the tag number, adds the charge. Then prints it out and hands you your copy, w/out your signature. But not everyone has E-Tickets yet. But still, no mailing you your ticket like with Red Light Cameras.
That makes sense -- the OP would have at least received a copy of the Federal Ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbarsk8ter View Post
Bmw driver pulled over for driving too slowly,lol. Time to trade it in for a Buick Mama Wagon.
Hmm, what about getting a pedicab? Just be careful though..the Park Police don't seem to love Bimmers or Pedicabs...they have reportedly tased a pedicab operator before arresting him.

http://dcist.com/2011/07/more_tensio...ice_and_pe.php

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #35
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iSSA View Post

incorrect. The lights do not need to be on for a copy to be responding to a call.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #36
bmodzelewski
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

learn to drive... stay out of the left lane... thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

OP, don't mean this toward you personally but I'd rather cops give a ticket to a cruising vehicle on the left lane vs one passing at speeds above the limit. Left lane should be for passing only. It simply keeps the flow of traffic better and causes less aggrivation. Still hope you got no ticket though
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #38
MD_schnitzer
Schnitzlfritz
Rep
Drives: 07 ACS 335i

Garage List
2007 ACS 335i  [0.00]
2009 Maxima SV  [0.00]
I kind of just breezed through the details of this thread, but I did see some mention about park police not having jurisdiction and/or being a Federal agency so they won't report it to your state of record. These are all FALSE statements, you see park police on the GW parkway and 295 because you are driving through a national park. A ticket from the park police is the same as a ticket from the MD/VA state police or your local county cop'er. And seriously guys, are we talking about proper driving etiquette in MD and VA??? HAH! Pass on the right, or pass on the left, doesn't matter here--ride their ass until they get over or just go around them.
02 Accord SE
Appreciate 0