E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MHD Log review.

08-02-2024, 12:12 PM   #1
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2011

MHD Log review.

Hey Guys!
First post here. I logged a 3rd gear pull with my 335i 2011 and would like some expert opinions on it. My setup is:
MHD stage 2 93 Oct, VRSF Downpipe, chargepipe, 5' intercooler, boostpipe.
A couple of questions about the log. One: Timing is terrible throughout the entire pull. I only did two pulls so do you think maybe I should have done more to get the car used to it? Two: In 3rd gear at high RPM my boost is well below the boost target. Boost goes up and over target when I switch to 4th. It seems like the car can't hold boost good at high RPM because even in fourth gear, the boost goes up as the RPM comes down. Appreciate any help
https://datazap.me/u/bmw335in55/log-...ata=2-4-5-7-14
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 03:04 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

I think I replied to your post under the "look at my log" thread.

When is the last time you did plugs and coils on that car? Either you have destroyed plugs/weak coils or are using the crappiest quality fuel known to mankind. Make sure you are using high quality premium fuels like Shell or Chevron. You don't say what state you are from so make

Your boost pressure are also like 2PSI below the target the entire run so there's got to be either a boost leak or something else going on there like a bad boost solenoid, vacuum leak or similar.

Just wondering it looks like you have everything for stage 2+ but you are only running stage 2 any reason for that?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2024, 06:58 PM   #3
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
I think I replied to your post under the "look at my log" thread.

When is the last time you did plugs and coils on that car? Either you have destroyed plugs/weak coils or are using the crappiest quality fuel known to mankind. Make sure you are using high quality premium fuels like Shell or Chevron. You don't say what state you are from so make

Your boost pressure are also like 2PSI below the target the entire run so there's got to be either a boost leak or something else going on there like a bad boost solenoid, vacuum leak or similar.

Just wondering it looks like you have everything for stage 2+ but you are only running stage 2 any reason for that?
Thank you for taking a look. Coils and plugs were done 20k miles ago by the previous owner. I have only used Shell V power or Sometimes Mobil but always the 93 Octane. I am in Florida. I've heard running a little below the boost target is sometimes normal but I can look into it. Would you happen to have experience with the VRSF boost pipe I have? The new O-ring VRSF was sent with the pipe fitted very loose. When I contacted support about it, they said it was the right one. The car has no codes besides a shadow code: 2DD0 - Valvetronic system: Control deviation warning threshold exceeded
Should I switch to the 91 Octane map?
I am not running stage 2+ because the car is kinda new to me and I don't want to push it too hard right now. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2024, 06:03 PM   #4
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Bump! Somebody else? Should I reset all MHD adaptations?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 09:13 AM   #5
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Guy View Post
Thank you for taking a look. Coils and plugs were done 20k miles ago by the previous owner. I have only used Shell V power or Sometimes Mobil but always the 93 Octane. I am in Florida. I've heard running a little below the boost target is sometimes normal but I can look into it. Would you happen to have experience with the VRSF boost pipe I have? The new O-ring VRSF was sent with the pipe fitted very loose. When I contacted support about it, they said it was the right one. The car has no codes besides a shadow code: 2DD0 - Valvetronic system: Control deviation warning threshold exceeded
Should I switch to the 91 Octane map?
I am not running stage 2+ because the car is kinda new to me and I don't want to push it too hard right now. Thanks again!
I think when people say running a little below target boost we are talking fractions of a PSI, maybe even up to 1 PSI, once you are at boost, while getting up to boost you will definitely see it be below target, yours is below target the whole time. Anything beyond that is definitely not normal IMHO. By VRSF boost pipe are you talking about the charge pipe (goes right into the throttle body) or a different boost pipe? I personally have the Burger Tuning chargepipe and the fitment has been excellent so far. If your chargepipe is loose it makes sense its not holding boost near your target.

Are your plugs the OE Bosch plugs or some other spark plug? If you don't know I would pull at least one of them and make sure they are the OE Bosch plug. Also ensure the coils are OE Bosch, Delphi, or Eldor. If they are not one of these brands I would change them with some OE ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 04:42 PM   #6
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
I think when people say running a little below target boost we are talking fractions of a PSI, maybe even up to 1 PSI, once you are at boost, while getting up to boost you will definitely see it be below target, yours is below target the whole time. Anything beyond that is definitely not normal IMHO. By VRSF boost pipe are you talking about the charge pipe (goes right into the throttle body) or a different boost pipe? I personally have the Burger Tuning chargepipe and the fitment has been excellent so far. If your chargepipe is loose it makes sense its not holding boost near your target.

Are your plugs the OE Bosch plugs or some other spark plug? If you don't know I would pull at least one of them and make sure they are the OE Bosch plug. Also ensure the coils are OE Bosch, Delphi, or Eldor. If they are not one of these brands I would change them with some OE ones.
Thanks for replying. The pipe I am talking about is the turbo outlet pipe that is on the opposite side of the throttle charge pipe. My only option would be to order larger o-rings for that side even though VRSF says they are supposed to work. Another thing is my WGDC never gets above 80% so it can't be that big of a leak right? I sent the log to MHD and they said the timing issue is fuel-related. I am going to try to switch to a Chevron station. The plugs and coils were done at a specialized BMW inde shop so I am assuming they used OEM ones. I'll ask MHD about my boost being below target.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 04:48 PM   #7
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Here is a 1-4 log I log the same day as the other one:
https://datazap.me/u/bmw335in55/log-...&data=4-5-7-14
I did not WOT.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2024, 06:48 PM   #8
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

The original plugs on an 07 335 were Bosch 3 ground electrode (3 prong). My understanding is they were oem on your's also. When I modded my first N54 I had to decrease the gap significantly on the oem's for proper ignition (despite claims you shouldn't or can't it worked well). I've subsequently gone to a colder NGK iridium (1 prong) on both my N54's, which are actually included in the Burger kit. Changing to a colder NGK iridium is recommended once you've modded to about 350whp which you may well have. Gap recommendation on either is 0.022.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 01:17 AM   #9
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for replying. The pipe I am talking about is the turbo outlet pipe that is on the opposite side of the throttle charge pipe. My only option would be to order larger o-rings for that side even though VRSF says they are supposed to work. Another thing is my WGDC never gets above 80% so it can't be that big of a leak right? I sent the log to MHD and they said the timing issue is fuel-related. I am going to try to switch to a Chevron station. The plugs and coils were done at a specialized BMW inde shop so I am assuming they used OEM ones. I'll ask MHD about my boost being below target.
Can you find a link to the part you are referring to, the passenger side of the car has both, inlet and outlets that go to the turbos and are tubes, if its the outlets you could definitely be be leaking boost pressure there. I guess if your turbos are old maybe they just aren't making as much boost anymore. I currently fail to meet boost targets, but thats probably because I have CRAZY wastegate rattle, and they just aren't working correctly anymore after years of abuse by me

I would also suggest dropping down to the 91 octane maps in case you aren't actually getting true 93 in your area. As a test, you can run a can of an octane booster like the Royal Purple one as a test. I remember a couple years ago when I was troubleshooting some timing correction stuff I tried the Royal Purple one and it cleaned the corrections right up. The bad part is that it destroys the plugs with some orange crud if you use it over an extended period of time.

Here's my logs just a few days apart while i was troubleshooting. Anyway, in my case it was the plugs were just too old. Initially I replaced them with the NGK 1 step colder and gapped it to .022, but I had super weird random misfire issues on random cyl, never the same one and always at high boost 3rd or 4th gear only. I went back to the original Bosch 3 prong plugs/Eldor Coils and has been rock solid since then even on E50 Stage 2+.

Initial run without the Octane Booster: https://datazap.me/u/lookalikehuuh/i...18&zoom=25-106

2nd Run after adding the octane booster+chevron fuel: https://datazap.me/u/lookalikehuuh/2...-18&zoom=14-87
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 09:03 AM   #10
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Here is the part: https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-n55-tu...e-chassis.html
There is no oil around the connections of the pipe and it did feel tight but who knows
I am going to switch to the 91 map. Can someone explain how to gap spark plugs? Don't you need a special wrench to reach them? The valve cover doesn't need to be removed right? Does octane booster need to be added right before filling up? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 01:53 PM   #11
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Hey guys!
Here are two highway logs I did with my 91Oct map. They are from 4-5 which I know is accurate since I have a 6AT but 3rd would be too slow for the highway and I didn't want to do it on a smaller road because the cops have been hanging around me a lot lately
Timing does seem better, especially on the second pull. I am still running the same gas as the other pulls. Next week when I fill up, I am going to switch. Boost is still 2-3 psi below target most of the run. Think I'm going to have to order larger o-rings for that one side since all of my connections are hand tight.
First log: https://datazap.me/u/bmw335in55/log-...-36-37&mark=59
Second: https://datazap.me/u/bmw335in55/log-...33-34-35-36-37
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 02:24 PM   #12
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the part: https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-n55-tu...e-chassis.html
There is no oil around the connections of the pipe and it did feel tight but who knows
I am going to switch to the 91 map. Can someone explain how to gap spark plugs? Don't you need a special wrench to reach them? The valve cover doesn't need to be removed right? Does octane booster need to be added right before filling up? Thanks!
As far as tools go, the only special thing you need is a thinwall 12pt magnetic spark plug socket like this one: https://burgertuning.com/collections...ug-socket-tool

Its super easy, you will just remove the engine plastic covers, coils will be in a row at the top of the engine, remove each coil pack, stick the socket in there and turn it out.

The OE plug is a Bosch for your car I believe. OE plug should be pre-gapped but its not a bad idea to check just in case. I have the burger tuning gap tool and feeler gauge set and I have no complaints so far. Do not try to gap while the feeler gauge is in the spark plug, measure, adjust gap, measure... etc. There are "colder" NGK spark plugs that some recommend, but I personally don't run them because I had some misfire issues with them so I took them out and have them sitting in my cool chest. OE's just worked better for me.

Gap Tool: https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...270f61dd&_ss=r

While you are in there looking at the plugs ensure the coil packs are either Bosch, Delphi or Eldor brand. If they are not I would order a new set.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 02:26 PM   #13
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys!
Here are two highway logs I did with my 91Oct map. They are from 4-5 which I know is accurate since I have a 6AT but 3rd would be too slow for the highway and I didn't want to do it on a smaller road because the cops have been hanging around me a lot lately
Timing does seem better, especially on the second pull. I am still running the same gas as the other pulls. Next week when I fill up, I am going to switch. Boost is still 2-3 psi below target most of the run. Think I'm going to have to order larger o-rings for that one side since all of my connections are hand tight.
First log: https://datazap.me/u/bmw335in55/log-...-36-37&mark=59
Second: https://datazap.me/u/bmw335in55/log-...33-34-35-36-37
Thanks again!
The 2nd run definitely looks much better timing wise. I find it a bit weird that even on 91 tune (while having 93 fuel in tank) you still have quite a few corrections.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 03:34 PM   #14
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah. We will see how it looks when I switch fuel stations this next week. Do you think I still have a boost leak? I'm going to check all my connections this Friday when I change my PS fluid.
Edit: I just checked and my coils are the Delphi GN10571.

Last edited by BMW Guy; 08-07-2024 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 06:24 AM   #15
BMW Guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Good news guys! The Racetrac near me has E85 so i'm going to be dropping in a gallon this Friday along with 93 from mobile. That should really help with my timing. I would like to do more than just a gallon but I've heard that you need to add in 85 first then 93 and I don't want to use Racetrac 93 so I'm going to just bring a gallow can and fill that up and add it before filling. Wish me success!
Appreciate 0