E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage II and Auto Insurance??

02-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Dinan Stage II and Auto Insurance??

Hey all,

So in one week from today, I'm having a Stage II done to my baby, and today, on my way to work, I started to wonder about the implications for auto insurance.....

So, I'm just wondering, for you guys who have Dinan flashes, or any mods for that matter, but I suppose this applies to more "permanent" mods as opposed to plug'n'plays:

1.) Did you even bother mentioning your mod to your insurance company? If so, when did you do it, upon renewal or immediately?

2.) If you did notify them, how much of a difference did it make to your insurance payments (per year, please).

Thanks guys!

Marty
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
nick 55
Late Braking
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe, C55, E55, hmm..

Garage List
I notified them immedietly upon completion of the mods, however it didn't make any difference. 9 times out of 10, factory parts cost more than aftermarket. I did photograph the car from multiple angles and sent them to my agent, along with documentation of the mods. It probably helps that my car was in a couple magazines too, since it is documented elsewhere too. The only real concern was the wheels, since they are Volks, but I wanted to ensure full coverage.

Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
I also have the Dinan Stage II flash installed. I was involved in a traffic collision and as a result, the car has/had to be reprogrammed by the dealer (adaptive lighting). This in essence wipes out the Dinan tune which now will need to be reinstalled. Although all of the modifications on the car that were damaged were replaced with the same (or better ) aftermarket parts; I had neglected to mention the Dinan flash.

Once I found out the car would have to be reprogrammed I contacted the ins. adj. and was told they wouldn't pay for the expense of the car being reflashed. There is no cost from Dinan for the reflash however, it is 150 mile drive each way for me to get to the dealer/retailer.

Make sure you mention the tune and that it's covered for replacement should any of this happen to you.

Anything aftermarket on your car needs to be disclosed for proper coverage.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

yello ppl, to re-hash an old post....

so I called my insurance company telling them that I'm might install a Flash to my car to increase power....they told me that if I make any engine mods, then they will cancel my policy!

So may I ask you again, especially CANADIANS, have you told your insurance co. of your mods, and if so, who are you insured with!? If I did not disclose that I had a tune, and God forbid I was in an accident of some kind, would they be able to tell?? How would they if it were something like an ecu flash, right?

Anyways, please chime in on this one.....
      02-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartys View Post
yello ppl, to re-hash an old post....

so I called my insurance company telling them that I'm might install a Flash to my car to increase power....they told me that if I make any engine mods, then they will cancel my policy!

So may I ask you again, especially CANADIANS, have you told your insurance co. of your mods, and if so, who are you insured with!? If I did not disclose that I had a tune, and God forbid I was in an accident of some kind, would they be able to tell?? How would they if it were something like an ecu flash, right?

Anyways, please chime in on this one.....
I was involved in an accident during the summer and my car was written-off.

I had a number of aftermarket parts I never informed the insurance company of including a flash tune, FMIC, Intake system, lowering springs.

The insurance not only paid me full replacement cost of the vehicle, but they also paid for the invoice price of the after-market modifications when I provided copies of the receipts.

This was an extra $4,000 on top of the replacement cost, no questions asked.

They even helped me get my car back from the sleazebag tow truck/autowrecker yard that refused to release the car back to the dealer because they wanted to salvage the parts.

I was impressed.

You might want to try them out as I am in the Toronto are as well.

It's Aviva/Pilot insurance.

I have nothing but good things to say them and I have never said that about any insurance company before.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
moon335
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I called my insurance company as I was considering Dinan Stage 2. The c/s agent was nice & all and took a lot of notes, I explained that they have partnership with BMW etc. etc.. She said she would send this to underwriters, but typically their policy is any hp increase is a no. However, her and her manager seemed to agree it could be looked at.

The next day I get a call back and holy sh*t. I felt like I was being hung on the cross. I was told my policy would be canceled, I'd need to sign an agreement to state that I won't mod anything, the whole deal. The only reason I called was because they asked if the car was modded when I originally signed up.

And let it be known that whenever you try to be a good customer etc., you a big middle finger up your ass.

I live in CA, are there ANY good providers of insurance that cover Dinan Stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

I informed my insurance company of every mod I have and when I go online, I can see it listed under the policy details, but there was no corresponding insurance premium increase to go with the mods. I guess they figure that as long as the parts don't really cost more to replace than stock parts then it's the same for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I did not report one mod on my car. If the accident is my fault then its my fault and my loss. If the accident is someone elses fault then their insurance company will pay for whatever mod you have on the car so long as you have the receipts for those mods.

Also, always take pics of your mods when adding them.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

There is little advantage of informing your ins company of engine mods. Engine mods often increase HP which should obviously change the price of your coverage. However, I think it would be smart to inform them of aftermarket audio systems or wheels.

I'm not sure what telling your ins company about a flash does for you. It's just software. The cost to replace it is minimum. And the cost of the parts to get you to stage 2 shouldn't be more than the stock parts (correct me if I'm wrong).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Tmgxray
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i e93 AT.

I had a roush stage 2 and was going to add a kenne bell supercharger, so I called my insurance agent and told them. They told me that it didn't matter just keep receipts.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
I had a wreck and had the Dinan flash. Dinan gives 2 reflashes for whatever reason (usually due to BMW software updates). Many times after a crash the car will have to be reprogrammed even for something as simple as headlight alignment.

Bottom line is the software will be reflashes without problem. If you're out of warranty then insurance may want to argue about it. This info is from past experience.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.38]
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
I have had State Farm for 35+ years - never reported any modifications to my recent cars, as most of what they were interested in was aftermarket electronic products like sound and navigation systems that are frequently the cause of smash-and-grab losses. Most OEM BMW wheels are more expensive than the aftermarkets (except BBS and other super-lightweight wheels). I've had Dinan software in all 3 of the 3-series I've owned and it's never presented a problem...mainly because I've never had any accidents with any of them.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I have had State Farm for 35+ years - never reported any modifications to my recent cars, as most of what they were interested in was aftermarket electronic products like sound and navigation systems that are frequently the cause of smash-and-grab losses. Most OEM BMW wheels are more expensive than the aftermarkets (except BBS and other super-lightweight wheels). I've had Dinan software in all 3 of the 3-series I've owned and it's never presented a problem...mainly because I've never had any accidents with any of them.

Of course. You've never had to deal with anything that would cause insurance to care about the mod.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
LOL ............

It's been so long since I visited this forum that I didn't realize I had posted within this thread way back when .......... nothing like double posting.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.38]
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
Yeah, but I did talk to my insurance agent and he said outside of things like electronics and other frequently-stolen items, they weren't really concerned about other add-ons. If you have receipts for the items and they're still on the car when damaged, they'll be covered is what I was told.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
moon335
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Can anyone mention which insurance compnaies don't mind this? I called mine and holy cow, I feel like leper now.

I asked about dinan to them b/c they asked specifically if I had mods on my car when I registered for it. Dinan has a sale right now (oct '11) so i was actually considering it. Called them up talked to them for 20 minutes about what it does that they have a special relationship and it doesnt ruin anything etc. etc.

They said they'd need to speak to underwriters. Called me back and pretty much hung me up on the cross. Demanded I sign a statement that I wouldn't mod it. I told them I won't sign a damn thing. Afterwards called to get a new ID card a few weeks later. She was nice until she saw my policy and the notes and became very rude. DID YOU MOD YOUR CAR YOU BETTER NOT.

I was pretty much shocked. I told them I'm not going to and to never ever ask me again and to note that.

I'm currently shopping for an insurance company now. The level of horrible CS and knowing there are carriers that just don't care about that, makes me realize I need to change.

So any suggestions would be great.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #19
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon335 View Post
Can anyone mention which insurance compnaies don't mind this? I called mine and holy cow, I feel like leper now.

I asked about dinan to them b/c they asked specifically if I had mods on my car when I registered for it. Dinan has a sale right now (oct '11) so i was actually considering it. Called them up talked to them for 20 minutes about what it does that they have a special relationship and it doesnt ruin anything etc. etc.

They said they'd need to speak to underwriters. Called me back and pretty much hung me up on the cross. Demanded I sign a statement that I wouldn't mod it. I told them I won't sign a damn thing. Afterwards called to get a new ID card a few weeks later. She was nice until she saw my policy and the notes and became very rude. DID YOU MOD YOUR CAR YOU BETTER NOT.

I was pretty much shocked. I told them I'm not going to and to never ever ask me again and to note that.

I'm currently shopping for an insurance company now. The level of horrible CS and knowing there are carriers that just don't care about that, makes me realize I need to change.

Which insurance company?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #20
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon335 View Post
......Called me back and pretty much hung me up on the cross.....I'm currently shopping for an insurance company now. The level of horrible CS and knowing there are carriers that just don't care about that, makes me realize I need to change.

That is the risk you take when you tell them or give them any hint that you have or even interest in modding your car. When you do, and it back fires your account is flagged. The best thing to do after that is to go to another company.

Reporting stereo system, and wheels are ok. However anything that has any influence on how the engine operated you will be hanging youself
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #21
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
That is the risk you take when you tell them or give them any hint that you have or even interest in modding your car. When you do, and it back fires your account is flagged. The best thing to do after that is to go to another company.

Reporting stereo system, and wheels are ok. However anything that has any influence on how the engine operated you will be hanging youself
As far as I know Insurance doesn't cover engine issues other than accident and hydrolocking so idk why that would matter...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #22
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
As far as I know Insurance doesn't cover engine issues other than accident and hydrolocking so idk why that would matter...
The insurance underwritters rate a vehicle based on its OEM specs. Any alteration from those specs ie moding car to go faster which yeilds more HP goes against their underwritten policy that can cause the following:
  • Your rates to be jacked up "significantly
  • Immediate Term of your insurance

The best thing to do is leave it as mute. Now if someone hits your car and "they accept fault" then you have a home run here. All you need to do is provide receipts for the add ons to the car regarless how modded you are so long as you DO NOT go through your insurance company for those claims in which you should have to.

Dealing with the person at fault's insurance company is much more safer for your own pocket.

If fault turns out to be a war then you might as well let your insurance company deal with it and remain mute about your mods.
Appreciate 0