E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Hit the curb....

03-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
KMach89
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Hit the curb....

dodging a rabbit on the road.

I ended up driving up onto the curb and possibly damaged:

Axle
Broken front bumper
(Potentially) one of the coilover kw v1s

I called BMW assist and they said that if it is an accident, the tow truck will not be covered. This has never happened to me before so what should I expect?

EDIT: Should I be bringing this to a dealership to get repaired or to a reputable shop (RMP)?

Are my insurance rates going to increase since it's technically an accident?

Help!

Last edited by KMach89; 03-16-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

ouch, sorry to hear that.
Never dodge or avoid an animal. Big lesson learned.
Anyways, yes if you repair it under insurance your rate will go up.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
ouch, sorry to hear that.
Never dodge or avoid an animal. Big lesson learned.
Anyways, yes if you repair it under insurance your rate will go up.
It's a natural reflex...99% of people would try to dodge a living thing if it came in the way...Your automatic train of thought is that you don't want to kill this living thing...and had it been somebody's dog or something, I would much rather have some damaged car parts than kill somebody's dog. I dunno, that's just me though...That said, I highly doubt I would hit the curb trying to dodge something; i'd like to think my driving skills are a little bitter than that...no offense to OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
MiroE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black

Since your scenario will more likely resemble a collision claim rather than a comprehensive claim your insurance would be affected to some degree. Unless ofcourse you have accident forgiveness or something similar.

One thing I would be weary of in your situation is that if your insurance co doesn't know about your coilovers then you may be offside on your policy and they could deny you coverage. In which case you have quite a problem on your hands... But if the coils are insured or your insurance has been made aware of them, then you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE_TRAYUNZE View Post
It's a natural reflex...99% of people would try to dodge a living thing if it came in the way...Your automatic train of thought is that you don't want to kill this living thing...and had it been somebody's dog or something, I would much rather have some damaged car parts than kill somebody's dog. I dunno, that's just me though...That said, I highly doubt I would hit the curb trying to dodge something; i'd like to think my driving skills are a little bitter than that...no offense to OP.
+1. it's easy to say that you should never veer your car to avoid an animal, but human nature is to try and avoid killing things (unless you live in the U.S.).
      03-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
KMach89
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So I was able to drive it to my buddy's place (I was driving him home when this happened and was a street away from his place) but it feels like one of my wheels is rubbing against something.

I ended up calling BMW assist and cancelled my tow truck and left it to this morning to see if I can bring it to a shop (e-mailed Rocco and potentially bringing it there) to repair the damages by cash rather than have my insurance premiums go up.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Kbimmer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
+1. it's easy to say that you should never veer your car to avoid an animal, but human nature is to try and avoid killing things (unless you live in the U.S.).
hahaha, have to agree !

...and yes, it is my nature to avoid living, almost lost control in a small road once avoiding a skunk or raccoon (it was dark).

I guess I'm human after all ! lol
'97 328i Black on Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMach89 View Post
So I was able to drive it to my buddy's place (I was driving him home when this happened and was a street away from his place) but it feels like one of my wheels is rubbing against something.

I ended up calling BMW assist and cancelled my tow truck and left it to this morning to see if I can bring it to a shop (e-mailed Rocco and potentially bringing it there) to repair the damages by cash rather than have my insurance premiums go up.
could be a good idea, in addition to the ins. premioum, the accident goes on your vehicles history and will def. impact resale.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMach89 View Post

Sorry to hear man, but this is the right move. Take it to a shop, hopefully get the best deal you can with cash payment.

Don't notify your insurance etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
KMach89
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
Sorry to hear man, but this is the right move. Take it to a shop, hopefully get the best deal you can with cash payment.

Don't notify your insurance etc.
If only all this money went towards the group buy order.. Haha
I'm probably going to take it to Rocco to get it repaired
Appreciate 0