E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > New PC!

06-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
MWhy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is BSM

New PC!

I just got a PC7424 as an early Fathers Day present.

Had a couple of questions:

- I have a set of LC pads in the 4" size that I use with the Polishing Pal by hand. I just ordered the correct size PC backing plate from DI. Then i had second thoughts. Do you think 4" pads are too small to take on a whole car? Or should I invest in larger pads?

- also, when using a PC, does a single pad in a given aggressiveness (ie orange) last for the whole car? Or should I have two of each kind I'm using for a full car polish? Does it make a difference if I use the cleaning brush on the pad midway thru?

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
mo2566
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 VW GTI

Congrats I just ordered one too.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Mpower04
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The 4" pads would just take a lot longer but you would be able to reach in spots the regular pads wouldn't. I also have a PC and invested in Adam's pads in the regular size as well the 4" size. One pads will last the whole car and it doesn't matter if you clean it half way through. Really all your doing when you clean it is taking off the dried product. Another thing to do with new pads is give it a spray of spray detailer when it starts to dust and the first time you use the pad. (the spray really brings out whatever you have on the pad to make your product go as far as it can and also conditions new pads)

E92 M3 Build | E70 X5M Build
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92

Keep the 4" pads, buy a complete set of 6" pads with backing plate.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Congrats on the new PC and a happy Father's Day to you. Thank you for the support as well, I hope you're enjoying the products. You certainly can stick with the 4" pads it may just take a bit longer. They are great for tight spaces and around trim. If you want to work a little faster I'd suggest getting the 5" backing plate and the 5.5" pads, but it's not a must. If interested the Lake Country 5.5" Lake Country Pad Kit - 7x Pads is a great kit, you can get any 7x pads you'd like by adding a comment in the comment field on the check out screen and just pick up the backing plate separate.

Even with a cleaning I still recommend two pads per coat of polish. Polishes tend to cake up faster and they require more product than a sealant or liquid wax. With glazes, sealants and liquid waxes I typically can get away with just one blue pad but you certainly could use a second pad if desired.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

I used 6.5" pads for my hood, sides, top and trunk, but a 5.5" feels better to me personally. The 4" are just right for bumpers and front ends, mirrors, etc. I have 5's and 6's in my arsenal.

Good purchase on the the 7424, I bought one a few months ago after 20+ yrs of hand detailing. Best investment I've made (in my back) in eons.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhy View Post
I just got a PC7424 as an early Fathers Day present.

Had a couple of questions:

- I have a set of LC pads in the 4" size that I use with the Polishing Pal by hand. I just ordered the correct size PC backing plate from DI. Then i had second thoughts. Do you think 4" pads are too small to take on a whole car? Or should I invest in larger pads?

- also, when using a PC, does a single pad in a given aggressiveness (ie orange) last for the whole car? Or should I have two of each kind I'm using for a full car polish? Does it make a difference if I use the cleaning brush on the pad midway thru?

Thx.
Keep the 4" and I too would recommend you getting a set of 5.5(s). I find the 4" to be extremely useful in tight places as well as rubbing out localized scratches. PC seems to put out more power when paired with a smaller pad. Believe it or not...I accidentally took some paint off the edge with the 4" yellow pad once.